translation!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

translation!

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Hello! Could someone take a look at this document I copied from familysearch.org? It is number 126....the marriage information for Cosmo Di Salvo and Anna La Piana. They are my Great Great Grandparents! I understand the first paragraph....but the last two have my clueless! Can someone read it and tell me what it says....if there is any info that might help me further...maybe where the marriage took place??? Also...is this an "Atto di Matrimonio?" I apologize as I took a break in my research and my knowledge/skills are a bit rusty! Thank you for your time and help!

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1328397044
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: translation!

Post by erudita74 »

This is their actual marriage record dated Nov 15, 1869 at 7 P.M. in the town hall of Bagheria. The groom Cosmo Di Salvo was born in Bagheria on Nov 5, 1844. He was a mulettier and the son of Gaetano Di Salvo, of the same occupation, and Maddalena Puleo. They were all residents in Bagheria. The bride Anna La Piana was born on Sept 8, 1850, also in Bagheria. She was the daughter of Andrea La Piana and deceased Giuseppe (no maiden name is given for her mother in the record). Witnesses were Gisueppe Scardina, age 56, a manager of a country estate, and Giuseppe Aguglia, age 48.

The couple presented the consent of the parents of the groom and of the father of the bride. Their marriage publications had resulted in there being no opposition to their marriage. The couple was then read articles 130, 131, and 132 of the civil code and each was personally asked if he/she wished to take the other as husband/as wife. Then the town official pronounced that, in the name of the law, they were united in matrimony.

The supporting documents were inserted into the volume of allegati of this register.

Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

WOW! Thank you! Its amazing that those two paragraphs can be summed up in a few sentences! So this is the "Atto:...now I must look for the Allegati as I believe those are scanned on familysearch as well! Do you know what a "mulettier" is?

Thank you! Grazie!

Gina
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:WOW! Thank you! Its amazing that those two paragraphs can be summed up in a few sentences! So this is the "Atto:...now I must look for the Allegati as I believe those are scanned on familysearch as well! Do you know what a "mulettier" is?

Thank you! Grazie!

Gina
A "mulattiere" is a mule-driver

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks, T. Just to give you some additional info about the mule driver-

Mulattiere-

The mule was the only source of livelihood for its owner and his family. As a result, he spent a great deal of time caring for, and grooming, his animal. Basically the mule- driver would live in the woods for a period of time and then would use his animal to transport wood from cut down trees back to his village. The wood might then be used to fire up baking ovens. After the unification of Italy in the mid 1860s, the mule driver might use his mule to transport materials for the construction of the railroad. The mule carried these heavy loads either in bags or baskets tied to the sides of its saddle or in a wagon which had been hitched to the animal.

Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

WOW! Thank you for all the information! I had no idea! That is amazing!

Thank you again. You are all incredible at what you do! I appreciate all your help and input!

Grazie,
Gina
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:WOW! Thank you for all the information! I had no idea! That is amazing!

Thank you again. You are all incredible at what you do! I appreciate all your help and input!

Grazie,
Gina

Prego, Gina. I always feel it is important to try to understand what the occupations of our ancestors involved. Just translating the term into English doesn't do it for me.
Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Erudita,

Can you take a look at this Atto di Nascita? It's at the bottom of image 135...it is for my Great Grandfather, Gaetano Di Salvo...he is Cosmo Di Salvo and Anna La Piana's son. Can you verify that the date/year is 1869? If Cosmo and Anna were married in November of 1869 and Gaetano was born in December of 1869....well, uhm....did that happen back then?

Thank you!
Gina
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Erudita,

Can you take a look at this Atto di Nascita? It's at the bottom of image 135...it is for my Great Grandfather, Gaetano Di Salvo...he is Cosmo Di Salvo and Anna La Piana's son. Can you verify that the date/year is 1869? If Cosmo and Anna were married in November of 1869 and Gaetano was born in December of 1869....well, uhm....did that happen back then?

Thank you!
Gina
Gina
Yes, the year of the birth was 1869-record is dated Dec 22, 1869 at 5 P.M. and the birth took place on the 20th at 10 A.M. It's very possible that Cosmo and Anna had previously had a church marriage before she got pregnant. After the unification of Italy-from the mid 1860s, some individuals, who had had a church wedding, resisted having a civil ceremony too. But the civil state did not recognize church marriages and considered children born from them to be illegitimate. So it's possible that Anna and Cosmo just wanted to insure that their son, once he was born, was considered legitimate in the eyes of the civil state.
Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thank you for the explanation! That makes sense! I am assuming then, that since the civil state did not recognize the church marriages there is no notations of them or anything in the civil documents???

Gina
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

One more thing...I did find the "pubblicazione" for Cosmo and Anna...would there likely be any more information in those??

Grazie!

Gina
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:One more thing...I did find the "pubblicazione" for Cosmo and Anna...would there likely be any more information in those??

Grazie!

Gina

The publications were just like banns of marriage-posted to insure that there was no opposition to the upcoming marriage. The first would be posted for 7 days and then the second would replace it and remain posted for three days. After that point, the marriage could take place, assuming that there were no impediments, such as one of the spouses already being married. But, because a couple requested that their publications be made does mean that a marriage actually followed. That's why, if you can locate an atto di matrimonio, you should do so. The publications that I have for my own ancestry contain less info than the atti di matrimonio, and I therefore don't bother to type out translations for them.

Erudita