Favara of Castelvetrano, Trapani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Favara of Castelvetrano, Trapani

Post by BlissIs »

Hi All

Am searching for Giuseppa Favara's birthdate circa 1899, likely, per passenger papers.

Could this refer to her parents?, if she kept her mother's last name? or other relative?:

Marriage of Antonino Navarra and Giuseppa Favara February 28, 1878
Date:
28 February 1878
Submitted By:
andrea_campobasso_espinosa to Ancestry.com

Feel out on a limb. Any suggestions, please?

Many thanks
BlissIs
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Favara of Castelvetrano, Trapani

Post by erudita74 »

BlissIs wrote:Hi All

Am searching for Giuseppa Favara's birthdate circa 1899, likely, per passenger papers.

Could this refer to her parents?, if she kept her mother's last name? or other relative?:

Marriage of Antonino Navarra and Giuseppa Favara February 28, 1878
Date:
28 February 1878
Submitted By:
andrea_campobasso_espinosa to Ancestry.com

Feel out on a limb. Any suggestions, please?

Many thanks
BlissIs
Records for this town are not online but are on microfilm which would have to be rented through a local family history center-

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Unless Giuseppa was born of an unknown father, but her mother came forward and she was then given her mother's surname at birth rather than her father's, she would not have had the same surname as her mother. Italian women normally retain the surname of their fathers throughout their lives, even when married.

Erudita
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

While it's true that on her birth record her surname would be that of her father's, later in life, such as on her children's birth records, she may be referred to by her mother's surname or even have a surname which is a combination of her father's and mother's (in either order). This was true at least in Agrigento so probably also in Trapani. This practice was more common in the beginning of the 19th c. and died out over time.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

carubia wrote:While it's true that on her birth record her surname would be that of her father's, later in life, such as on her children's birth records, she may be referred to by her mother's surname or even have a surname which is a combination of her father's and mother's (in either order). This was true at least in Agrigento so probably also in Trapani. This practice was more common in the beginning of the 19th c. and died out over time.

I personally have never seen the practice to which you are referring in any records I have viewed in either Agrigento or Trapani Province, and I have viewed thousands of them there. It seems to me you are talking about a practice I have seen in some other areas of Sicily, particularly in one of my ancestral towns of Messina Province, which was the practice of double surnames.

Erudita
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Thank you Erudita and Carubia. Seemed like a long shot. Appreciate your clarifications.

Regarding films, are they by year of birth? Town of Castelvetrano has no record of her for 1889....oops, not 1899 as entered above.

Best,
BlissIs
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

BlissIs wrote:Thank you Erudita and Carubia. Seemed like a long shot. Appreciate your clarifications.

Regarding films, are they by year of birth? Town of Castelvetrano has no record of her for 1889....oops, not 1899 as entered above.

Best,
BlissIs
Mostly the records are in ranges of years.

For your purposes, I would suggest renting the film I have pasted below. It contains the 10-year Birth Index from 1886-1895 :-)

Nati magg. 1863-1866 Indice decennale 1886-1895 Nati genn. 1867 Family History Library International Film 1339781

T.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

erudita74 wrote:
carubia wrote:While it's true that on her birth record her surname would be that of her father's, later in life, such as on her children's birth records, she may be referred to by her mother's surname or even have a surname which is a combination of her father's and mother's (in either order). This was true at least in Agrigento so probably also in Trapani. This practice was more common in the beginning of the 19th c. and died out over time.
I personally have never seen the practice to which you are referring in any records I have viewed in either Agrigento or Trapani Province, and I have viewed thousands of them there. It seems to me you are talking about a practice I have seen in some other areas of Sicily, particularly in one of my ancestral towns of Messina Province, which was the practice of double surnames.
I have gone through tens of thousands of records in Ribera, Agrigento, and have seen the practice numerous times. I have also seen it in other Agrigento towns, although offhand I can't say which ones (I have people in my tree from about 30 comuni in Agrigento).
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Infinite possibilities...........especially, in ancestry research. hahaha Thanks respondents.

We have two FHL locations on island and one library with film machines. At last report, all are broken with no repair budgets in site.

Any other ideas? Would love to see film and try to locate Giuseppa Favara.

BTY when I googled film sentence (Nati magg. 1863-1866 Indice decennale 1886-1895 Nati genn. 1867 Family History Library International Film 1339781), it said Palermo at top of page. Would Palermo have Castelvetrano, Trapani, please?

So grateful for guidance,
BlissIs
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2051639

under this category on family search, they list Trapani under Palermo, but there are currently only Camporeale records there. Trapani province is not part of Palermo Province, so I really don't know why this is the case.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

BlissIs wrote:Infinite possibilities...........especially, in ancestry research. hahaha Thanks respondents.

We have two FHL locations on island and one library with film machines. At last report, all are broken with no repair budgets in site.

Any other ideas? Would love to see film and try to locate Giuseppa Favara.

BTY when I googled film sentence (Nati magg. 1863-1866 Indice decennale 1886-1895 Nati genn. 1867 Family History Library International Film 1339781), it said Palermo at top of page. Would Palermo have Castelvetrano, Trapani, please?

So grateful for guidance,
BlissIs
Some places have associate public libraries with film readers. I'm not sure whether this would be the case where you live. My understanding, from talking to a lady at our local FHL recently, is that they won't be replacing any of the machines because it is the intention to put everything on line. (I was hoping that they would be considering buying a Pro Scanner which gives far superior images and you can also save the images to a USB stick.)

Angela
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

erudita74 wrote:under this category on family search, they list Trapani under Palermo, but there are currently only Camporeale records there. Trapani province is not part of Palermo Province, so I really don't know why this is the case.
First of all, this microfilm contains records from the Palermo courthouse (tribunale), so if they have records from Trapani then that's why they were included with the Palermo records. The question would be, why does the courthouse in Palermo have records from Trapani?

And the answer is that Camporeale is currently in the province of Palermo but used to be located in the province of Trapani.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

dang! this stuff is confusing. Thanks to all :-)