Born where?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ginagirl916
Rookie
Rookie

Born where?

Post by ginagirl916 »

Whats the best way to find information if you only have names and dates but no cities. I need to find more info but have no idea where in Italy they were born.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Born where?

Post by adelfio »

Did they come to the US
What are the names and dates?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ginagirl916
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ginagirl916 »

Yes they did come to the us:
Guglielmo Giunti
Birth Jan. 1844 in Italy
Death June 4 1914 in Providence, Providence, Rhode Island
Clotilda Carmassi
Birth 1845
Death 31 Jul 1898 in Rhode Island

I cant seem to find any Italian records on Ancestry or family search just using the name search.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The most useful sources for finding their places of birth in Italy would be naturalization documents (in particular, a petition for naturalization or declaration of intent from 1906 or later) or passenger manifests. I suppose you don't have any idea when they arrived in the US. Have you found either of their death certs? That sometimes has information on how long someone lived in the US. The census could also have useful arrival information or the year of their marriage (although I think that question was only asked in 1900 or 1910 and Clotilda had died by then).

Passenger records from the 19th century tended to be more minimal, so you may not even be able to tell from one whether you have the correct person. The same is true of naturalization papers.

Do you know of any relatives of theirs who also came to the US? Have you located their graves?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ginagirl916 wrote:Yes they did come to the us:
Guglielmo Giunti
Birth Jan. 1844 in Italy
Death June 4 1914 in Providence, Providence, Rhode Island
Clotilda Carmassi
Birth 1845
Death 31 Jul 1898 in Rhode Island

I cant seem to find any Italian records on Ancestry or family search just using the name search.
Hi,
you are sure abt Giunti spelling.. it could be Giusti and no Giunti?
by 1900 census:

Name: William Giunti
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1900
Event Place: District 2 Providence city Ward 9, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Race (Original): W
Relationship to Head of Household: Father-in-law
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Father-In-Law
Birth Date: Jan 1844
Birthplace: Italy
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Alfred Nutini Head M 26 Italy
Eranenegilda Nutini Wife F 25 Italy (b. sep. 1875)
Celia Nutini Daughter F 4 Rhode Island
Emilie Nutini Daughter F 1 Rhode Island
William Giunti Father-in-law M 56 Italy
Benasgo Giunti Boarder M 25 Italy

Well the "Besnago Giunti boarder" (so transcribed) was really: Bernardo/Bernardino Giusti coming from Santa Maria Giudice hamlet of Lucca town..
If my idea is right, I believe that searching in Lucca civil records it could be possible to find almost Ermenegilda birth act:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D2043811
as a well the marriage act of Guglielmo and Clotilde.. I believe Lucca as possible birthplace...
hoping helpful,
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ginagirl916
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ginagirl916 »

Susan. Thank you. I do have that census record but never recorded Besnago as he was listed as a broader so I didn't know where he fell. I just didn't think to look there. Lesson learned to me. Thank you for taking the time to look that up. I will start there. I am thinking he may have been a brother. Time to dig. Thanks again!!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I am pretty sure that the right surname is Giusti, as a well I am sure that the birthplace is Lucca or some hamlet of Lucca....

on 1905 census the Guglielmo birthyear is 1842:
Guglielmo Giusti
Rhode Island, State Census, 1905
Name: Guglielmo Giusti
Event Place: Providence, Ward 004, E.D. 0043, Providence, Rhode Island
Race: White
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 1842
Birthplace: Italy
Father's Birthplace: Smithfield Rhode Island
Mother's Birthplace: Smithfield Rhode Island
Relationship to Head of Household: Father
Entry Number: 8

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1542866
in previous and next pages are also some other Giusti.... Bernardo Giusti, Angelo Giusti.. I believe related in some way at Gulielmo....
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ginagirl916
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ginagirl916 »

Are you finding Guinti or Guisti? I am looking for Giunti. They are 2 different names.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think what Suanj is trying to tell you the name of Giunti was changed from Guisti some where down the line

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ginagirl916
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ginagirl916 »

Ohh you think? I do have Guisti on another separate line too.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 113yearslater »

For me, I was able to localize where my name came from in a roundabout way. My last name is very common in Italy, and I thought I'd never be able to find out where it came from, but my great-grandparents married in 1895, when Italian immigrants to the US tended to marry people from their old hometown, even if the marriages took place here. Thankfully, he married a woman with a far less common last name, so I was able to zero in that way.

I used Stephen Morse's Ellis Island Gold Search to look only for people with the less common name, and found that they tended to come from four towns in Italy most often. I then reversed the search and looked to see which if any of those towns also generated the more common name. I hit paydirt in Marsicovetere, which generated both names.

Happily, FamilySearch.org has scanned microfilms available online for that town, and relatively quickly I went from thinking I'd never localize my name to finding my great-grandfather's birth record. Only recently, I ordered his death record from the PA state archives and was delighted to see that I had guessed right.

So try to search for an intersection on last names between two members of a married couple. I've had that work three times so far -- for myself and twice for others who were looking for family.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 113yearslater »

Just tried this: I'm finding Giusti and Carmassi coming from a place called Massarosa, and a few from another place called Lucca. (Same place, apparently.)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

113yearslater wrote:Just tried this: I'm finding Giusti and Carmassi coming from a place called Massarosa, and a few from another place called Lucca. (Same place, apparently.)
Lucca is the name of a province and also the name of the province's capital city. Massarosa is one of the 35 comuni of Lucca province.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ginagirl916
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ginagirl916 »

Thanks everyone! Nothin is coming up in searches. I started browsing films. This is gonna take a while. Lol I've narrowed down to when maybe they were married so I'm starting there.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 113yearslater »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
113yearslater wrote:Just tried this: I'm finding Giusti and Carmassi coming from a place called Massarosa, and a few from another place called Lucca. (Same place, apparently.)
Lucca is the name of a province and also the name of the province's capital city. Massarosa is one of the 35 comuni of Lucca province.
Yep. Like my family members who are listed as coming from either "Atessa" or "Chieti." Just depends on which which was written down on the manifest, the comune or the province.

Unfortunately, the available films through FamilySearch for Massarosa only appear to go back to 1870. :(