Help reading surname on a death record from Rocca Canavese

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dbc2014
Rookie
Rookie

Help reading surname on a death record from Rocca Canavese

Post by dbc2014 »

IMG_1672.JPG
I am having trouble reading the surname on the first line of this page. It looks like Grand Viet, but I don't think that is correct. I would appreciate any help! Thank you!
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Help reading surname on a death record from Rocca Canave

Post by erudita74 »

Could you please upload the entire record or give us a link so we may view it in its entirety? It appears to be from 1870, but I can't find a copy online at familysearch.
Thanks
Erudita
dbc2014
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dbc2014 »

IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG
Thank you for your reply. I am posting 2 photos from the beginning of this record. I am trying to read the surname for Luigia Pagliero's mother. I have seem some other records referencing a "Ferrando Viet Vittoria" but am not sure if the name on this record is the same as that, or is a different surname. Thank you again very much.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I'm honestly getting no where with this. I know the surnames Vietti and Vieti exist in Torino, but in this record it looks like Viet, unless it was originally a surname from some other region that added the "i" to become Italianized. My suggestion is that you contact the town. Give the name of the deceased, date of the record, record number, and ask if anyone there can tell you the name of the deceased's mother. That info should be in the town's registers. It could be a double surname, but the other part does not look like Ferrando to me.
Erudita

Ufficio Protocollo, Anagrafe, Stato Civile e Leva
Responsabile Dott.ssa Gaetana Del Sordo
Impiegati Di Benedetto Germana
Indirizzo Via Levone, 20
e-mail info@comune.roccacanavese.to.it
anagrafe@comune.roccacanavese.to.it
Telefono 011/9240931-9240426
Fax 011/9239807
Orario al pubblico Lunedì: 8,30-13,00 e 14,00-17,30
Martedì: 8,30-13,00
Mercoledì: 8,30-13,00
Giovedì: 8,30-13,00
Venerdì: 10,00-13,00
Sabato: 08,30 - 12,00
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I believe this is a compound surname. There are several surnames like this in Torino.
For instance, in Corio and Forno Canavese is found "Frand Largio" as a surname, and in Torino is found "Frand Genisot" (with and without a hyphen)

I think the mother's name is Vittoria Frand-Viet :-)

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I agree with T. I meant to type in my reply above that I saw Frand as the beginning of the surname. I started looking through some 1808 death records for the town and I saw Frand Genidot as a surname and also Bensviet as a surname. None of these appear to be Italian in origin. I can't find any info about the surname Frand Viet, but I do believe that is what is written in the record. I just wish the records had indices, so that we could confirm this, and also that some place online there was some information about the surname.

Erudita
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Researching my piedmontese family I saw that the clerks often wrote down the surnames just as they sounded in the local dialect.
only later they were Italianized adding vowels at the end and doubles here and there. Frand is exactly the way a native piedmontese speaker would say Ferrando. And,as Erudita already remarked Viet became Vietti. My own Viot ancestors became Viotti during the twentieth century.
ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Great info, Paola. Thank you.
Erudita
dbc2014
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dbc2014 »

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your research and insight! This is all so very helpful. Thank you again!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome.
Erudita