Ordering my great-grandfather's naturalization packet

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Ordering my great-grandfather's naturalization packet

Post by 113yearslater »

Hello! I am interested in viewing a copy of my great-grandfather's naturalization application. I understand that this is microfilmed somewhere in the murky bowels of the National Archives (most likely in Philadelphia). He was naturalized in 1938 at the Philadelphia District Court, if that helps.

I have seen a scan of the index card for his naturalization at FamilySearch, so I have his petition and certificate numbers.

My question is that the list of microfilm rolls available at the National Archive website doesn't seem to give me much help in terms of figuring out which roll I would find his packet in. The rolls seem to come in two sets -- 1-200, and 201-369. There is no indication of which roll contains packets from which year, or which certificate numbers, or any of that.

If anyone has obtained not just certificates but the actual full packet of information for an ancestor's naturalization and could give me a bit of guidance, it would be much appreciated. :-)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Ordering my great-grandfather's naturalization packet

Post by Tessa78 »

113yearslater wrote:Hello! I am interested in viewing a copy of my great-grandfather's naturalization application. I understand that this is microfilmed somewhere in the murky bowels of the National Archives (most likely in Philadelphia). He was naturalized in 1938 at the Philadelphia District Court, if that helps.

I have seen a scan of the index card for his naturalization at FamilySearch, so I have his petition and certificate numbers.

My question is that the list of microfilm rolls available at the National Archive website doesn't seem to give me much help in terms of figuring out which roll I would find his packet in. The rolls seem to come in two sets -- 1-200, and 201-369. There is no indication of which roll contains packets from which year, or which certificate numbers, or any of that.

If anyone has obtained not just certificates but the actual full packet of information for an ancestor's naturalization and could give me a bit of guidance, it would be much appreciated.
:-)
Here is the National Archives site for ordering reproductions of naturalization records.
There is a small fee (was $7.50 the last time I ordered from this site), and you need to register before you can order.
If your family member was naturalized, you will generally receive the Declaration of Intent, Certificate of Arrival, Petition for Naturalization, and the Certificate.

https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 113yearslater »

That's the website I've been to, but they require that you tell them where to find the packet, and I have no clue what roll of 369 possible film rolls that the packet might be found in. :-(
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I haven't ordered naturalization records in many years, but I just went into my account to check what was required to place an order. You need to fill in the blanks which have the red star. You are not required to put in a roll number. You just need the state in which the naturalization took place, the city, the date range. The person's last name, first name, year of birth, city at the time of naturalization and county.

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Just as Erudita stated, you do not need a roll number.

You need to choose "Order Reproduction" and follow the steps to choose NATURALIZATION RECORDS
The fee is now $10.00.
AFTER you add the format to your cart, you will be asked the information Erudita mentioned above.

T.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 113yearslater »

Got it -- thank you so much! I kept going to a page that wanted to know the microfilm roll for some bizarre reason. I can't wait to get the information!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

NARA has great archivists who work for them and has always been pretty fast at processing requests. Hopefully you'll have the records in no time. Ancestry.com had the wrong WWI card linked to my husband's grandfather's name, and I requested the record from NARA on a Sunday night and had it in Thursday's mail. I also recall that they were very quick in processing requests for naturalization records. Let's us know how you make out.
Erudita
nudrat

Post by nudrat »

Well good news for us. nice link you shared. i already found this on different sites but not satisfied of that.
We provide fast success ExamCollection 642-427 Pass4sure ccna trainingARM up-to-dated Isilon
Richard Connell

Post by Richard Connell »

I have been unable to get a certified true copy of Grandfathers Naturalization Certificate-I have a copy of it as well as the petition certified and with apostle, I even had an appointment with an immigration officer with USCIS and they refused to help me-stating it was un American to seek dual citizenship! In NY consulate will the certified petition with apostle along with a copy of the certificate be accepted? This is a serious issue as my appointment is in Feb. Any advice will be most appreciated.
Regards
Richard Connell
Richard Connell

Post by Richard Connell »

I have been getting the run around regarding genealogy requests for my grandfathers nat. certificate. I have the petition with apostle and a paper copy of the cert. I need a a true copy of the cert. Is this naturalization packet acceptable to the NY consulate? I have already paid 2 times without luck. Help appreciated.