Entry or Arrival

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Entry or Arrival

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

Can someone please tell me if there is a possibility that early 1900 Italian immigrants entered U.S. from ships sailing the St. Lawrence River near Quebec Province into New York State?

If so, aside from the Ellis Island records which only show entry into New York City Harbor-what search databases are available?

We know there were Calabrese communities who settled in Upstate New York near Schenectady and Syracuse, but for some of them -we can not locate their entry via the Ellis Island records. Wondering if they may've entered from another point of entry back then. Thanks.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Entry or Arrival

Post by erudita74 »

Joy
Have you tried to search this database?

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1803785

some additional info at this website:
http://www.theshipslist.com/Research/ca ... ords.shtml

Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Erudita- I will check into both of this websites. Let you know if I am able to locate anything. Thanks, Joy.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Hope you find what you're searching for, Joy.
Erudita
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I've seen entries through Detroit that came down the St. Lawrence River. They're mixed in with the other arrival records on Ancestry. These ships also stopped in Canada, so sometimes they are grouped together with arrivals to Canada.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Boston was a popular point of entry. You may want to look there.

Also this book was extremely helpful in tandem with ancestry.com
:Morton Allan Directory of European Passenger Steamship Arrivals
For the Years 1890 to 1930 at the Port of New York, and for the Years 1904 to 1926 at the Ports of New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Baltimore
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In answer to your question as to ports of entry in NY State go to http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/NY
There is an all entry form which should have a record of all entries into the USA from early 1800's and housed with NARA. http://www.archives.gov/contact/inquire-form.html

You can request a form to send NATF #81. This should be used when the first suggestion might not prove helpful. Peter
~Peter~
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Trying to locate the arrival into U.S. of two brothers from Calabria

Francesco a.k.a. Frank Pezzano, and younger brother Damiano Pezzano. Both born in Podargoni, Reggio Di Calabria.
Francesco Pezzano born 1895
Damiano Pezzano born 1899

Can not find any record for them on Ancestry.com nor Ellis Island site as coming over via Ellis Island- New York City.
I have also searched on Family Search: United States Border Crossings from Canada to United States, 1895-1956
And on Ancestry.com under Massachusetts, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1963

Both brothers eventually settled with families in New York City. We know that by 1927 Damiano was in this country since he married a young girl who lived in Fulton County New York whose family also came from Podargoni.

Older brother Francesco (Frank) married Maria (Calarco) possible surname.

Please help to locate entry for these two brothers. Have had no success in locating their arrival-big mystery.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Please file the NATF form #81 which I indicated to you in my last response above. Go to this website for the Form: www.archives.gov/contact/inquire-form.html Peter
~Peter~
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Peter-thank you. I viewed the NATF form#81. In section A. it seems to ask for information I simply do not have like “date of arrival”, “state of entry”, “port of entry”, “age”, etc…
I only have their names and country of origin-specifically the town and province. Is this enough for me to request a search using this form?
So far, I can not locate any arrival record for both of them.

Asking for any help.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Your identifiers are basic but still searchable if you can include a date, or a year or an approximate year of birth that might help more than you might realize. In the interim perhaps you can call NARA at their Waltham Massachusetts office and speak to a clerk. If I were coming from Italy BOSTON would be the easiest way to get to Schnectedy NY. NARA-Waltham, Mass address is 380 Trapelo Rd. 781-663-0160 and the Boston Federal Record Center (at the same address) at 781-663-0130. If you cannot make any progress then as a last resort call 866-406-2379 for National Archives Nationwide Network and/or send them an e-mail at bostonarchives@NARA. Please keep me posted and let me know if you can obtain any WW1 draft records? Both would be about 21 in 1916. Peter
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Postscript: There are only two DAMIAN (Damiano) Pezzano listed in the USA and one appears to be deceased and the remaining one is probably the son of the Damiano, (he is aged84) being sought by you who resides in the Bronx, NY. Sometimes when you run out of resources you can just pick up the telephone and ask? The telephone number is 1-781-991-8062. Peter
~Peter~
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Peter, thank you so much. Both "Damians" above are now deceased. Second was his son. First was born 1899. He had brother "Frank" (Francesco) Pezzano who was few years older who we are trying to locate an arrival record as well. I do not believe both brothers were in this country during WWI; however, I was able to view Frank's WWII draft card. I will keep searching.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

What address did he have for his ww11 draft card? Just curious. Peter
~Peter~
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

On Ancestry.com-WWII draft card shows address on 122nd Street -Manhattan -New York City.