Josephine Pelligrini Immigation

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Josephine Pelligrini Immigation

Post by phishfood »

Hi,

I again received another letter from Homeland Security saying that they can not find records on my other great grandmother Josephine Pelligrini. I have 2 census records that say she came over here in 1897 and the other one says 1900. She was born 11/06/1894 from what we are told. She aslo went by the name of Maria Giuseppina and I wrote that to Homeland Secuity for both names but they came up with nothing. Where should I look next? I am stumped.

Kim
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Josephine Pelligrini Immigation

Post by VaDeb »

Whether Homeland Security finds a record depends on details you provide and dates. If this ancestor immigrated before 1906 (yes), was naturalized before 1906 (?) they will not have information on her.

When did she die? If alive in the 1940's she would have filled out an alien registration card. Did she or her gusband live long enough to collect social security?

IF you can answer these questions, we can help you find a direction to foloow.
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Josephine died 05/31/1972. I have no idea if they collected social security. Maybe they did. Is there any other info. I can give you to help out? Let me know.

Kim
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Not sure if she is the person you are looking for...

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 5036060133&

First Name: Maria
Last Name: Pellegrino
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Sassano
Date of Arrival: Mar 13, 1901
Age at Arrival: 7y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Neustria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0013
-------------------------------------------------------------------

mfjp
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

That very well could be her. Thanks :) How would I know for sure???

Kim
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

mfjp,

Did you see my post for Maria Angela Grande and the new info. I gave? Could you help with that one too if possible?

Kim
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

mfjp,

I am sorry it is Josephine Pelligrini or I have also seen Peligrino too. So that record you found is probably not her. My mistake. The other grandma is the Maria Angela Grande.

Kim
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Kim,

The record mfjp may or may not be your ancestor. You asked "How would I know for sure??? " The answer to this is RESEARCH. The more you know about your ancestor, the better able you are to answer this question.

You told us Josephine died in 1972. I could not find her in the SSDI. Do you have her death record? It will have her parents names on it. Do their names match the names of the parents of the manifest posted by mfjp?

You have census records. Does the destination on the passenger manifest match the area the family lived in?

What do the census records say as far as her naturalization status? You might have to find her naturalizaion record on her father's form. Until about 1926 (not sure of exact year without looking) a woman derived her citizenship status through her husband or father.

Do you have her marriage record? That will also have valuable information.

One last hint. When Italian surnames end in a vowel, I find it very helpful to search using a wildcard as the last letter. Even if the name SHOULD end in an I, doesn't mean it will. Between vowel sounds and handwritting translation errors, the last vowel in a name being incorrect is very common.
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

VaDeb,

I do not have any reords on Josephine right now. I have tried to order a marriage certificate but no luck yet. Thanks for the hints and I will try to locate something. If no luck I'll be asking more questions of course. :)

Kim
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Kim,
If you share with us the information that you do have on Josephine we can probably help you. Tell us the city she lived in. Tell us the names of the other members of her family.

My family name was originally Pellegrini also. I have seen it spelled Pellegrino on many records here in the US. You will probably encounter this often.

Donna
Donna Pellegrin
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

phishfood wrote:mfjp,

Did you see my post for Maria Angela Grande and the new info. I gave? Could you help with that one too if possible?

Kim
Take a look!

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... 3028#23028

mfjp :P

P.S. Happy New Year Donna, Debbie and Phish!!
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Donna,

Here is all the info. I have on Josephine. She was born 11/06/1894. I have heard but do not know for sure that she was born in Salerno,Campania, or Naples, Italy. She also went by the name of Maira Giuseppina and we have also seen her last name spelt Polgrina but maybe that is by mistake on US records. On the census records that I have it states that she immigrated either in 1897 or 1900 (different in 2 census reports). She was married in 08/17/1910 to Luigi Marrone in Newark, New Jersey and she died 05/31/1972 in Amsterdam, NY. I don't have a name for her mother but a family member told us that her father's name was Nicholas Pellegrini. Is that enough info.? That is all I have right now. Let me know if you can help. Thanks.

Kim
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Kim,
No luck yet finding other possible passenger manifests. So far the one that mfjp found was the only close match. Do you know the names of Josephine's brother's and sisters?

I did find Josephine Marrone in the Social Security Death index. The information in the SSDI matches your information exactly. You may be able to find out more about Josephine from her Social Security records if you are willing to pay the 26 bucks.

I'm still looking for manifests. I'll let you know if I turn up anything else.

And Happy New Year to you to mfjp! And may you break through all your brick walls!
Donna Pellegrin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

phishfood wrote:Donna,

Here is all the info. I have on Josephine. She was born 11/06/1894. I have heard but do not know for sure that she was born in Salerno,Campania, or Naples, Italy. She also went by the name of Maira Giuseppina and we have also seen her last name spelt Polgrina but maybe that is by mistake on US records. On the census records that I have it states that she immigrated either in 1897 or 1900 (different in 2 census reports). She was married in 08/17/1910 to Luigi Marrone in Newark, New Jersey and she died 05/31/1972 in Amsterdam, NY. I don't have a name for her mother but a family member told us that her father's name was Nicholas Pellegrini. Is that enough info.? That is all I have right now. Let me know if you can help. Thanks.

Kim
Hi kim, also are this records:

1-Maria Guiseppina Pellegrini (Giuseppina); birthplace Maierato (vibo Valentia province/Calabria region) Italy 1900 imm. year; age 13 ; birth abt. 1887;

2- Ma Giuseppa Pellegrino birthplace: Postiglione (in Salerno province/Campania region); 1897 imm. year; age 6; birth abt 1891;in travel with the father Gaetano... joining .. nobody....

-------
Josephine in 1930 census are listed as 38 old so born in 1892 abt...
--------------
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Donna,

What would Jospehine's SS records tell me if I ordered those and who do I write or call to order them? Thanks for helping me out.

Kim