3 dates mentioned...........what about them?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

3 dates mentioned...........what about them?

Post by stellina13 »

The attached birth record mentions the following dates:

April 18, 1912
May 31, 1912
6/12/1912 (does this date reference the authenticity of the document?)

why are those dates mentioned? the reason I am asking is because my great grandfather died in Philadelphia in 1915 but there is a discrepancy between family members that state the family returned to Italy that year and others that say they returned around 1911-12. I read Italian pretty well but am unable to make out why those dates are referenced.

I understand this record was written in 1921 and my great grandmother Maria Bianchi was asking for a copy of her daughter Vittoria's birth certificate. Is there a clue in this document as to when the family returned to Italy or just wishful thinking on my part?

Thank you for taking a look. It's very much appreciated.
Attachments
vittoria.jpg
Nina

Researching Surnames: Paolini, Polidoro, Salutari, Musti and many others- Castelvecchio Subequo; L'Aquila Province.

my husband"s side - Cancellieri/e, Trapani, Giambanco, Ruggeri, and many others - Palermo & Carini, Sicily
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: 3 dates mentioned...........what about them?

Post by Tessa78 »

First let me clarify...
Maria was not requesting a copy of the birth record.
Maria brought a copy of Vittoria's birth (that's what it states) in Pennsylvania, and requests that it be entered into the register exactly as written.

In the document she provides it mentions that Vittoria was born on 21 May 1910.. and baptized on 1 June 1910.

What I read is that the baptism was entered into the register in the parish of Mt. Carmel on 18 April 1912, and signed officially by a rEverend from Scranton (probably the archdiocese) on 31 May 1912.
Then signed by the minister of foreign affairs in Rome attesting to its authenticity on 16 June 1915.

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

While I agree with the dates of the birth and baptism, I don't agree with T's interpretation of the April and May 1912 dates. The baptism was entered in the Pa. parish register back in 1910 when it occurred. In 1912, there was a different parish priest who created the copy of the record which was ultimately brought to Italy for entry into the register there. The priest who created the copy, after viewing the info in the parish register, did so on April 15, 1912. Then his signature was authenticated in Scranton on May 31, 1912, which was, as T stated, probably the diocesan or archdiocesan level. It may have needed to be authenticated, as he wasn't the parish priest who performed the baptism. Then it was signed by a member of the consulate, and then the consulate representative's signature was authenticated by the minister of foreign affairs in Rome in June of 1915.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

i meant to type April 18 and not April 15
Erudita
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

thank you.....so was Maria Bianchi back in italy in 1912? Am trying to establish a time line.
Nina

Researching Surnames: Paolini, Polidoro, Salutari, Musti and many others- Castelvecchio Subequo; L'Aquila Province.

my husband"s side - Cancellieri/e, Trapani, Giambanco, Ruggeri, and many others - Palermo & Carini, Sicily
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The only way to know for certain is to check directly with the town. The town should have somewhere in a register the specific date she returned there. (data reintro)
Erudita