Double Entry at End of Register of Births

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
BenedettoZito

Double Entry at End of Register of Births

Post by BenedettoZito »

First- thank you translators for volunteering your time to help others with these documents. I've learned so much from reviewing previous posts.

I noticed these two entries located at the end of the 1885 civil records of birth in San Giuseppe Jato, written freehand, while the rest of the book had entries on standard forms. Benedetto Zito is the name of one of my ancestors so I'm very interested to find out what is going on in these two entries that seem not to fit the normal format:

First entry: http://postimg.org/image/nhcc2tj07/

Second entry immediately follows: http://postimg.org/image/8674fyb1z/

The second entry is continued at the top of the next page: http://postimg.org/image/xnpizjss7/

I picked out dates in October and 31 December but can't seem to figure out what is going on. I'm hoping for a translation if possible. Thank you in advance.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Double Entry at End of Register of Births

Post by Tessa78 »

In cases of births outside of the hometown, a copy is sent to the official in the hometown so it can be entered into the Acts of Births. Since the entry sometimes occurs much later and after the register for that year is closed, it is entered in Parte II (or a supplement) to the year it was received.

Number 7 (I cannot tell, but this appears to be in a supplement - Parte II - of the register)
Dated 25 November 1886 at the town office.
The town office received today from the Tribunale in Palermo a letter dated 22 of current month which requests the transfer exactly of the coy of the birth of Benedetto Zito, day 8 of October of last year. ...
~Extract of the register of births ... Year 1885, #318, Benedetto Zito
Year 1885 day 8 of October at 4:30 PM
Before the official appeared Vito Zito, age 25, peasant farmer born in S. Giuseppe Iato, Province of Palermo, residing in the town of S. Giuseppe Iato, actually residing in Cinisi, to declare that at 12 noon on 7 of the current month in Cinisi at the house in Via Iato Alma, to his wife Giuseppa Schiro`, housewife, was born a male child who he did not present, and to whom was given the name BENEDETTO
To the above (recording of the birth) were witnesses Giuseppe Torrente, 25; and Lorenzo Geraldi, 31, carpenter.
Because the child was not presented, the birth was verified by the midwife, Maria Italiano.
This extract copy was written on 31 December 1885, I believe.
It was transcribed into the register on the November date at the top.

T.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hi Tessa
There is a thing that I find puzzling
Before Anno 1885 N.318
Estratto dal registro degli atti di nascita della R(egia?) Agenzia Consolato generale d'Italia in Tunisi?
Was Benedetto born abroad?

Ciao
Paola
:D
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I agree with Paola. The birth took place in Tunisi (Tunisia). The father was actually residing there, although he was born in San Giuseppe Jato. No luck though in tracking down the street name in the record. I believe the first word starts with the letter B and not the letter L, but I checked both ways.
Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Grazie, Paola!

Yes, I misread Tunisi as Cinisi :-)

T.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Prego, non c'è di che! :D
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
BenedettoZito

Post by BenedettoZito »

Dear Tessa and Paola, WOW! Wow. wow. Just Wow You are amazing! Thank you so much for this- I had a gut feeling we was a Tunisian connection somewhere- and I never expected to find it in that record. I'm so grateful to all of you for your time and effort in helping me with this. Fantastic !