Birth certificate from Corleone problems

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Birth certificate from Corleone problems

Post by JSaccaro »

Last month I ordered my great grandfathers birth certificate from Corleone through myitaliancitizenship.com. I received an email this week from them stating they couldn't find any record on my great grandfather. I found out he was born in Corleone through his Declaration of Intention. Is it possible the city documented on the D. of I. is wrong?
Also, is it possible that his name was Joseph in Italy? The reason I ask is because on his fathers death certificate it listed his father as Joseph and not Giuseppe. I would guess that since Salvadors father never came to the U.S. his name would have never changed to Joseph.
Am I making any sense here? :?
Any ideas as to where I should look next?

Thanks for the help.

Julie
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Birth certificate from Corleone problems

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Julie,

Joseph is Giuseppe in Italian. It's possible that Giuseppe was a middle name that he was known by.

There are LDS films for Corleone that you can order & view @ your local Family History Center.

Here is a link to the films.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... i+Corleone+++

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The death certificate is often not a good guide. On my grandfather's death certificate, his father was listed with the American version of his name, but his birth certificate and marriage certificate gives the Italian (correct) version of his name. My guess is that after 80+ years in this country, my grandmother began thinking in English terms, and automatically translated. Probably that's what happened in your g-grandfather's case. You can be pretty confident that his name was Giuseppe.

Do you have you g-grandfather's marriage certificate? There is much information to be found there. It may be that he listed Corleone on his petition because it was the largest town near the village in which he was born. You may have to search the communes in the vicinity of Corleone to discover the actual town.

Another option is to contact the diocese that serves the area. The Catholic Church kept detailed and accurate records of baptisms, and they may be able to provide you with more specific information.

I've also noted that several of the people who post on this site do genealogy searches. Perhaps one of them can help you.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

Joyce,

I ordered that microfilm a month or so ago. They had to order it from Salt Lake so it will be awhile. I also just found out that my Family History Center is closing for one month because the city where I live is hosting a few games for the World Cup. So for now I can't do much research in the microfilm area. :(

Mler,

The block for the city on my g-grandfathers marriage certificate is blank. This may be a silly question but how do I find the diocese that serves the area where he was born?

Thanks for the help.

Julie
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

Oops -

The block on the death certificate was blank. I just realized I was looking at the wrong document. So much paperwork!

The marriage certificate does not state the city, it only states the country.

Sorry about that! :oops:

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Sorry, Julie, I don't know much about getting baptismal records because I never needed them. The one thing I DO know is that the diocese serves a large area as it does in the States. In other words, each little town may have its own church (or several churches) but they would all be part of a larger diocese.

If you still have family in the area, perhaps they can give you this information. If not, you might try writing to one of the local churches, explaining that you are seeking baptismal information about one of your relatives. They should be able to give you the address of the diocese.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

As it turns out Corleone did not check any dates other than the exact date I provided. I was contacted by Eric (from myitaliancitizenship.com) last week with this news. So he will make another request to Corleone for Giuseppe's birth certificate. It may be possible that my great grandfathers birthdate is wrong on the Declaration of Intention.

More waiting...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Here is the website/info for the diocese:

http://www.chiesedisicilia.org/index.ph ... a_succ=120

wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

JSaccaro wrote:Last month I ordered my great grandfathers birth certificate from Corleone through myitaliancitizenship.com. I received an email this week from them stating they couldn't find any record on my great grandfather. I found out he was born in Corleone through his Declaration of Intention. Is it possible the city documented on the D. of I. is wrong?
Also, is it possible that his name was Joseph in Italy? The reason I ask is because on his fathers death certificate it listed his father as Joseph and not Giuseppe. I would guess that since Salvadors father never came to the U.S. his name would have never changed to Joseph.
Am I making any sense here? :?
Any ideas as to where I should look next?

Thanks for the help.

Julie

Julie, well about Corleone birthplace as I suggestedand now you confirm it.. about birth record........... I have a idea, and this idea is in my mind so long time, she(the idea) born when i searched the ship's manifest of Salvatore and or Giuseppe............ and no found!

I believe that Giuseppe Saccaro born in 1892 and Giuseppe Firmaturo also born in 1892 (and in travel with Caterina Provenzano + children Francesca and Angelo) are same person, and Giuseppe Firmaturo could be adopted by Salvatore and Caterina.. and because I cannot find more details, more infos on Giuseppe Firmaturo in all States, I believe that Joseph Firmaturo before of 1900 become Joseph Saccaro...
only a suggestion, only my opinion, and can be that I'm in error... but this I think... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

Hi Suanj,

Thanks for the reply. On Giuseppe's Dec of Intention he stated he came to New York in June 1896. I did search New York but didn't find anything, mainly because I wasn't sure where to search. I searched ellisisland.org but only Liborio Firmaturo came up.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/match ... &dwpdone=1

I'll try to search more for N.Y. passenger arrivals with Firmaturo as the last name and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the advice Suanj. You're Great!! :D

Julie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

JSaccaro wrote:Hi Suanj,

Thanks for the reply. On Giuseppe's Dec of Intention he stated he came to New York in June 1896. I did search New York but didn't find anything, mainly because I wasn't sure where to search. I searched ellisisland.org but only Liborio Firmaturo came up.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/match ... &dwpdone=1

I'll try to search more for N.Y. passenger arrivals with Firmaturo as the last name and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the advice Suanj. You're Great!! :D

Julie
Julie, Giuseppe Firmaturo came with Caterina Provenzano, in may 1897, and your Joseph said jun 1896, so very similar, as also in many Dec of Intention I found some discrepance because they don't remember very well, , however the ship of Caterina and Giuseppe Firmaturo( and also for francesca and Angelo in the second page of ship's manifest as you can read in your previous topic) was the SCOTIA...

Guiseppe Firmaturea 1897 6 old

is a my suggestion obviously, but i think so... good luck, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

I heard from myitaliancitizenship.com earlier this week and Corleone was unable to find any birth acts for my great grandfather. My question is if Giuseppe Saccaro was once Firmaturo, how do I prove that they are the same person?
I would like to send another request to myitaliancitizenship.com but I'm not sure what to request.
Thanks for the help!

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You may want to initiate another birth certificate search under the name Giuseppe Firmaturo. Myitaliancitizenship may also be able to check if an adoption was registered.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

Thanks mler! Will send myitaliancitizenship an email today.

Julie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

JSaccaro wrote:I heard from myitaliancitizenship.com earlier this week and Corleone was unable to find any birth acts for my great grandfather. My question is if Giuseppe Saccaro was once Firmaturo, how do I prove that they are the same person?
I would like to send another request to myitaliancitizenship.com but I'm not sure what to request.
Thanks for the help!

Julie
Julie, I already explaned my suggestions in my previous post...

-Giuseppe Saccaro missing any immigration record;

-found only Giuseppe Firmaturo in travel with Caterina Provenzano;

-Giuseppe Firmaturo missing in all censuses and Civil records: as never born... nothing.. but it appears Giuseppe Saccaro..

-please to send the request as Giuseppe Firmaturo in Corleone( and please to remember that is a my suggestion Corleone as birthplace, because I found the Firmaturos ONLY in Corleone) .... and I hope that you can find some USA document, about the adopting... i believe that giuseppe firmaturo was a Caterina's nephew and orphan... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH