looking for information about Martino Bottino

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Gonzabraz

looking for information about Martino Bottino

Post by Gonzabraz »

Hello to everyone, I'm looking for information about my great-great-grandfather Martin Bottino Amoretti born in 1813 in Lago Di Como, son of Leonardo and Cecilia Amoretti.
He lived until 98 years old and had 13 children. These data appear in the certificate of his death in 1911.

He emigrated to South America, presumably first to Brazil and then Uruguay.
The story that I had heard from my parents and uncles is that he had fought alongside Giuseppe Garibaldi, but we do not know if in Brazil in the Ragamuffin War (1835-1845) or in Uruguay in the Great War. (1839-1851)

In 1855 his first son was born, Pedro who was my great-grandfather.

I appreciate any information that helps to learn more about his life.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: looking for information about Martino Bottino

Post by suanj »

Hi, but you are sure abt the birthplace, some commune near Como's lake? You can show the document here? Because the two surnames, Bottino and Amoretti are of Imperia province mainly (Oneglia town or Diano Castello or Diano Marina towns, or some commune near)r and this could match with the rumor about Garibaldi, because Garibaldi was born in Nizza(Nice), no far one from other, abt 1 hour by car..
Just to ask, because the main option is Imperia province, and the second Cuneo province, but no Como province.. Thinking that Martino was born in 1813, maybe his parents had some other child, it is possible that... maybe born before or after of Martino, right? Well however some sibling could be died after 1866 but no one came up, on ancestry.it the civil records are indexed and transcribed, and nothing... these two surnames don't are populars in the Como province.
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gonzabraz

Post by Gonzabraz »

hello! thanks for answering...
it is possible that the last name Bottino is a deformation of Bottini, who is originally from Menaggio in the Lake Como area?
In any case, the only source of information is what one of his sons declared on the death certificate in 1911.
Attachments
Death certificate of Martino Bottino 1911
Death certificate of Martino Bottino 1911
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Ok: Lago di Como is italian spelling of Como's lake. Many communes on the shores of the lake. But the lake is divided into two branches, one of which pertains to the province of Como and one of current province of Lecco. Initially Lecco was not a province, it became so in 1992, partly taking some municipalities in the province of Como and partly some municipalities in the province of Bergamo. Therefore, indicating "Lake Como" as the birthplace at that time means including some municipalities also in the current province of Lecco and which are on the shore of lake.

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gonzabraz

Post by Gonzabraz »

Thanks for the clarification, it's a shame not to have more detailed information about which town he was born in.
It is possible that he had other siblings but I do not know that information.
Almost all the records that I have reviewed are from 1860 onwards and at that time Martino Bottino was already living in Uruguay married with children.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

my intelligence refuses to believe that he was originally from some municipality on Lake Como, because wherever I have searched I have not found a single BOTTINO o AMORETTI. I don't know who and why wrote Lago di Como but searching in that area is a waste of time. So I prefer to follow my nose trying to help you, but it's not easy. As you know, some descendants of Martino Bottino went to Brazil, to Rio Grande do Sul. Others remained in Uruguay. In the same area of Rio Grande do Sul I searched if there were others with the surname Bottino or Amoretti. I found one of them from Diano Marina, in the province of Imperia. And it is in that area that both surnames are together in the same Municipality and my intuition was that Martino was from Oneglia precisely. Because when Italians emigrated, they accompanied themselves with relatives or friends from the same area of origin to help each other in case of need. Therefore, considering that the online church records start from 1805, there are many years left and precisely from 1813 to 1837 and then from 1859 to 1865, I searched what is available and in 1813 Martino is not there. No to Diano Marina, no to Porto Maurizio, no to Oneglia (these two cities then merged and formed a single city called IMPERIA which is also the provincial capital. I assure you that it had a large emigration to South America well before 1880). Also in the table of births from 1785 to 1805 Martino is not, obviously.. They are only indexes, the documents are missing. And what a surprise to find a Tomaso Gio Batta Michele BOTTINO son of Leonardo and Giulia (not Cecilia) born on May 9, 1799
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 71/LPv6YxY. Since I don't have the possibility of looking for marriages to find out Giulia's maiden surname, I looked for something else, until I found a death of Brigida Bottino in 1849, daughter of Giovanni Bottino and Catterina GUGLIELMO. In 1851 a child died: Martino BOTTINO Brigida's little brother.

And in 1845, on April 22, Vittorio BOTTINO, 14 years old, son of the late Leonardo and Tecla MUSSO. There was only one Leonardo Bottino that I found by searching the registers and he could be the same father of Tomaso. But the mother does not match but I can think that she is the second wife. Because Vittorio was a boy so he had it in old age. I would like to search the deaths since 1866 but there are no indexes at least not in the early years. Why do I think Oneglia could be the city of birth?

Because the two surnames are present in Oneglia. There is a Leonardo Bottino. And a Giovanni Bottino had a stillborn infant named Martino BOTTINO. Martino BOTTINO is a rare name. A coincidence? I don't think so because it was usual for brothers or relatives who loved each other very much to call a son with the same name as their brother or relative emigrated, like always having him close by.
This is just an opinion of mine that I can't prove at the moment, but the Archive of Imperia keeps both the military draft lists and the military records of male births since 1792. Unfortunately, they're not online otherwise I would have searched. The archivist maybe, if you write, can make a search abt Martino Bottino in the leverage list.
This my rational suggestion, just because I cannot believe that he was born in some municipality on Como Lake coast.. It is impossible, second my experience.
Regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gonzabraz

Post by Gonzabraz »

I really appreciate the effort and time you put into the search. The record is very interesting and while looking in it, I found a 'Leonardo Bottini' born in 1793, son of Leonardo e Giulia. Could he be Martino's father? he would have been 20 years old when Martino was born in 1813.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230328-170853_Chrome.jpg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi I missed this your find, young Leonardo. However abt Giovanni BOTTINO, who lost the little Brigida and little Martino, maybe my suggestion was right, because I found his death on 1888 and he was 70 old, so born around 1817. And he was the son of late Leonardo and of Cecilia Dondero.. But the wife of Leonardo sr was Giulia on the birth of Tomaso on 1799, I read well? Cecilia now and unreadable maiden name,
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 72/wkeVEGp
I am positive that the area is this of Martino's birth. As in other states, death records are always less accurate than birth records, because the birth record gives an identity and therefore has value for the future of a person's life, the death record identifies him and concludes life, and often they were not very accurate because the informants did not know well, in detail the data of the deceased but only the name, age and sometimes even that wrong, name of the spouse and address....
I wish to find some trace who join my idea to your Martino... But it is hard..
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found a marriage of Angela Maria Francesca BOTTINO, 20 old on 1842 daughter of Leonardo and Cecilia Demoro... now by this record the maiden name of Cecilia is more readable... https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 82/LeMV39l
so she was born on 1822, the her brother Giovanni around 1818...

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gonzabraz

Post by Gonzabraz »

hello, for my part I found a Martino Bottino in Turin who was a friar and even has his own sculpture

https://catalogo.beniculturali.it/detai ... 0100136371

http://www.chieseitaliane.chiesacattoli ... ialamberto

Martino Antonio Bottino he was the founder of the Church Church of Saint Bartholomew <Busoni, Chialamberto>.
In 1836-37 the pre-existing chapel and the old bell tower were demolished to make way for the new church, erected at the request of Prof. Don Martino Antonio Bottino, who, with a legacy of 70,000 francs , will build not only the church, but also a house for the chapel. The church was built between 1836-37, at the request of prof. don Martino Antonio Bottino, thus demolishing the pre-existing chapel and the old bell tower

On the west wall, near the entrance, there is a niche in which the bust of the priest Martino Antonio Bottino, founder of the church, is placed, under which there is a commemorative marble slab. On the opposite wall there is another niche with a bust and a marble slab dedicated to Gioanni Michele Bottino

https://catalogo.beniculturali.it/detai ... 0100136356
Attachments
Screenshot_20230402-064441_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg
Screenshot_20230402-062948_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Yes I saw that, but cannot be your ancestor, this Martino died and left money for to build a new church

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In Oneglia: Leonardo BOTTINO jr (son of Leonardo sr and Giulia ....? no maiden name)married Cecilia DEMORO, I believe his first marriage was this. Cecilia was born on 5 jun 1797 daughter of Gerolamo and Angela Maria.

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 71/LNkW8mz
I believe now, that this Leonardo jr married Tecla Musso in second marriage.

However he, I mean this Leonardo jr was already deceased on 1843, because in this date the son Vittorio died, aged 14 (?) old (error abt age, born on 8 jan 1831 so he was 12 old. Death https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 07/5GbakN2), but this info is no correct, because on 1842 he had a son and he was alive, and he don't appears in death records of 1842 and 1843, so he was alive, really.

I found also that a daughter of a Francesco Bottino married on 1848, and her father was no present in marriage day because he was in the "America".. So the emigration from Oneglia in America in these years is true.

I believe that the better way is to search in Santana do livramento, Rio Grande do Sul , Brasil, abt the marriage of Martino, church marriage, because on the record could be wrote the birthplace, and stated directly from Martino. Also the same abt the church marriage of his children because the priest writing also the parent's birthplaces. But it is essential to find the church record of Martino's marriage.

I searched also on 1814 Oneglia birth and I no found Martino, but the age is wrong normally or no complete.
Best regards,
suanj.

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gonzabraz

Post by Gonzabraz »

At the same time that I investigate here, I am also following the track of Martino in Uruguay and his possible relationship with Giuseppe Garibaldi and the Italian Legion in Montevideo from that time there are several Newspapers written in Italian, because the Italian colony in Montevideo was huge in the mid-1800s. Some of these newspapers can be consulted online on the National Library website

http://bibliotecadigital.bibna.gub.uy:8 ... 3456789/18

There I found the only person with the last name Bottino: Vincenzo Bottino

The curious thing is that in Oneglia there is a Vincenzo Bottino married to Paolina Anfosso who had several children whose names were:

Emilio Ambrogio Gio Battista Martino Bottino (1875)

Angela Maria Cattarina Martina Paolina Bottino (1876)

Angela Maria Cattarina Martina Bottino (1880)

Giuseppe Alessio Martino Paolo Bottino (1882)

Martino Pietro Giovanni Battista Bottino (1884)

Five of his children named Martino/Martina!
Attachments
Screenshot_20230403-192925_ReadEra.jpg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

great input... Yes many Martino/Martina in Oneglia.. I wish so much have more resources where to search but imperia archive don't put on line military draft card as a well leverage medical check up..

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gonzabraz

Post by Gonzabraz »

Hello! I have some news after some time. A cousin obtained in Brazil the marriage certificate of Martino Bottino in 1853
There he says two very important things:
- That Martino is a native of Génova
- The mother's name is 'Secilia Da Mora' (Cecília Demoro)
Attachments
image.png