Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by liviomoreno »

I read "agrimensore" which my on-line dictionary translates into "Land surveyor"
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by maestra36 »

I'm inclined to agree with Livio, as the looped letter that comes down does look like the letter s which is in the first part of the mother's maiden name-in the part Casa
User avatar
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 223
Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 01:13

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by bkworm10 »

Thanks Peg and Tess.

Vico Primo is right around the corner from Vico Secundo - very close. Yes, they do look like alley's too.

So would an agriculturist have a title of a Don? What exactly would an agriculturist do differently than a farmer?

I will post another document later today that may have his profession more readable. Definitely, the Don and Donna are very noticeable on this particular document. Raffaele seems to have a profession I have not seen listed before too. It looks like possidente/passidente.

Thanks, Annette
User avatar
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 223
Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 01:13

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by bkworm10 »

Livio,

I just checked the document I plan to post later today, when I get a chance, and it does look like agrimensore, (land surveyor) like you said. Would that be a type of profession that would get you the title of Don?

Thanks, Annette
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by maestra36 »

Annette
The new occupation you are looking at is the word possidente which was a landowner.

I don't think an agricoltore would have been a member of the nobility and have the title Don. I do, however, believe that an agrimensore would have had a title, as there was a lot of education involved in being a person who surveyed the land. I think that a person with that occupation had to have studied mathematics and science. I don't think an agricoltore would have been educated. I found in my one Sicilian town that those who were contadini or peasants in the earlier records were called agricoltori in the more recent records. In another town in Sicily the word replaced the word coloni. Coloni were tenant farmers who did not own the land that they farmed. When feudalism was abolished in the early 1800s, the term for the farmers in that town changed to agricoltori. So I believe that agricoltori were members of the lower or peasant class. Your ancestor in the record had the title Don and was not a member of the lower class. Also he appears to have been literate, as he did sign the record. Based on the fact that he could sign his name and his occupation, he was educated.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by Tessa78 »

liviomoreno wrote:I read "agrimensore" which my on-line dictionary translates into "Land surveyor"
Yes, Livio, I would agree with this! :-)

T.
User avatar
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 223
Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 01:13

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by bkworm10 »

Thanks for the explanations, everyone!

Here is the document as promised:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7629/sf186520.jpg

It seems he married someone whose parents have Don and Donna in front of their names too. They appear to be from Oliveto?

Peg, you said that someone signed their name? I missed that. Which document did you see the signature on?

Thanks, Annette
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by maestra36 »

Annette
In the first image you posted, it states at the bottom that the document was signed by us (referring to the town officials-although only one town official's signature appears at the bottom and that the informant signed the document as well (that would be Don Giuseppe Sarricchio, although his signature doesn't appear on the image). Then it states that the witnesses did not sign, as they were illiterate.

I'm in the middle of doing something else right now and don't have time to translate the latest document you posted.

Peg
User avatar
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 223
Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 01:13

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by bkworm10 »

Ok, thanks Peg!

We probably can't see the signature as that is part of the processetti. If I order the microfilm for his birth, that would probably show his signature.

Thanks again! You are all amazing!
Annette
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by Tessa78 »

bkworm10 wrote:Thanks for the explanations, everyone!

Here is the document as promised:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7629/sf186520.jpg

It seems he married someone whose parents have Don and Donna in front of their names too. They appear to be from Oliveto?

Peg, you said that someone signed their name? I missed that. Which document did you see the signature on?

Thanks, Annette
Notification dated 23 January 1865

It is clear from this document that the deceased Don Giuseppe Sarricchio was an "agrimensore" (land surveyor) as Livio stated. Raffaele, 34, is a possidente (land owner).
Bride's name seems to be Annunziata Carolina Antonia Fitipaldi (?), 34, daughter of deceased Don Ferdinando (can't read his occupation) of Oliveto; and of Donna Barbara Spagna also of Oliveto.

T.
User avatar
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 223
Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 01:13

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by bkworm10 »

Thanks Tess! The last name of the bride is Fittipaldi - I'm pretty sure of that.
I also could not make out the occupation of the bride's father.

Annette
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by Tessa78 »

Maybe Peg or Livio can figure that one out :-)

I kept seeing "balaio" and I KNOW that can't be it :lol: :lol:


And yes, I did finally get Fittipaldi as the bride's surname :-D

T.
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by liviomoreno »

Don Ferdinando Fittipaldi was a Notary (Notajo) in Oliveto [Lucano]. At least this is what I read.
User avatar
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 223
Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 01:13

Re: Sarricchio-Fittipaldi processetti from 1865

Post by bkworm10 »

Thanks Livio and Tess!
Post Reply