Search found 32 matches

by jt27
17 Mar 2010, 00:29
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Am I misreading this record?
Replies: 9
Views: 5367

Re: Am I misreading this record?

Thank you for that info Tessa!
by jt27
14 Mar 2010, 00:42
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Am I misreading this record?
Replies: 9
Views: 5367

Re: Am I misreading this record?

Well, I found a Carlo Cavellone and his wife, Concetta, who both arrived in 1902. They too ended up in LA like my great great grandparents. The only problem is that Concetta's maiden name was DeFusco. I wonder if "brother-in-law" could mean that Carlo was previously married to a Sorbo?
by jt27
14 Mar 2010, 00:13
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Am I misreading this record?
Replies: 9
Views: 5367

Re: Am I misreading this record?

good point about the link -- thanks for the advice Tessa!

How on earth did you know that "C_lo" was an abbreviated first name?! I never would have figured that out...thank you! On to search for Carlo Cavellone!
by jt27
13 Mar 2010, 21:35
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Am I misreading this record?
Replies: 9
Views: 5367

Re: Am I misreading this record?

I think you have to click the "search" portion of that link for it to work. I had the same problem before when I was checking it.
by jt27
13 Mar 2010, 20:35
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Am I misreading this record?
Replies: 9
Views: 5367

Am I misreading this record?

From what I was able to decipher, the attached immigration record for my great, great grandfather Andrea Sorbo, states that he was going to stay with his brother-in-law, named Cavellone?, living at 99 Spruce? St in Providence, Rhode Island.

I searched the city directory for 1902 and found several ...
by jt27
05 Mar 2010, 00:56
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Where to find info on immigrants in Brazil
Replies: 0
Views: 2013

Where to find info on immigrants in Brazil

Hi All,

I just spoke with a newly discovered cousin and he gave me some great information on our family's history. One item in particular I wanted to research more, but I'm not sure what resources are available. He told me that when my great-great grandparents (Andrew and Columba Sorbo) immigrated ...
by jt27
05 Mar 2010, 00:43
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: English equivalent for given name "Ilario"
Replies: 16
Views: 14116

Re: English equivalent for given name "Ilario"

Laura, THANK YOU! This information is fantastic...I so miss my Ancestry membership! I do think these are the same family. I just spoke with a newly discovered cousin in California and he told me that Ilario did indeed go by James and died at a young age (sounded like heart attack or stroke). I also ...
by jt27
28 Feb 2010, 19:14
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: English equivalent for given name "Ilario"
Replies: 16
Views: 14116

Re: English equivalent for given name "Ilario"

ADDITIONAL INFO JUST FOUND: On Ancestry.com, there is a family tree listing that includes an"Elario" Sorbo, born 1893 in Teano and married Jan 23, 1910 in Rhode Island. I can't access the actual tree (waiting for tax return to renew my membership on Ancestry). The family tree is under the surname ...
by jt27
28 Feb 2010, 19:06
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: English equivalent for given name "Ilario"
Replies: 16
Views: 14116

Re: English equivalent for given name "Ilario"

Sorry all! I wasn't receiving the usual email notifications when people responded to this thread! Thank you for your interest in this...here is all the info I have:

Ilario Sorbo, born 1891 in Italy (family was from Teano and/or it's frazione San Marco) He came to the US with his father Andrea in ...
by jt27
25 Feb 2010, 17:37
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Email or Traditional Letter?
Replies: 6
Views: 4055

Re: Email or Traditional Letter?

Thanks to everyone for the input! Michael, before I received your first post here, I had actually gone over to Facebook and did some searching there...great minds think alike I guess!
by jt27
25 Feb 2010, 17:35
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: English equivalent for given name "Ilario"
Replies: 16
Views: 14116

English equivalent for given name "Ilario"

My great grandfather had a brother named Ilario, but after a certain point (1910 census, I think it was) I can't find him. I was thinking that he may have started using an English version of his name. I've found that alot of people still have this name, but I can't find an English equivalent for it ...
by jt27
23 Feb 2010, 17:51
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Email or Traditional Letter?
Replies: 6
Views: 4055

Email or Traditional Letter?

Which do you think is better to contact potential relatives: email (if you can find it) or traditional letter?
by jt27
10 Feb 2010, 21:29
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: No family remaining in towns of origin?
Replies: 18
Views: 9846

Re: No family remaining in towns of origin?

Wow! I must be blind...thank you SO much Johnny. I'll have to start writing some letters :)
by jt27
10 Feb 2010, 20:38
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: No family remaining in towns of origin?
Replies: 18
Views: 9846

Re: No family remaining in towns of origin?

Well, you found more than I did! :D Thank you!
by jt27
10 Feb 2010, 20:08
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: No family remaining in towns of origin?
Replies: 18
Views: 9846

Re: No family remaining in towns of origin?

The Sorbo's were from Teano (and its frazione San Marco); Marrocco and Gautieri were from Pietravairano. I'm assuming De Quattro was from Teano since my great-great grandmother, Columba De Quattro married Andrea Sorbo.