Search found 213 matches

by sforza
11 Jan 2015, 21:34
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Arcidiocesi di Palermo
Replies: 8
Views: 757

Re: Arcidiocesi di Palermo

Yes, I noticed that. There is a listing of the parishe collections on the site. Do you know if they have compiled a master index of the collections they do have?
by sforza
08 Jan 2015, 09:04

After a bit of digging, good news. For those interested in on-site research in Palermo, the archdiosan archives are open to the public, and offer reproduction and translation services for a fee. Here is the link: http://www.asdpa.diocesipa.it/
by sforza
05 Jan 2015, 06:38

I'm really not sure where he was born. My 5th GGF died in Palermo in 1817, an unfortunate three years before the city adopted the civil records. Here is what I know (from the marriage allegati of his son, my 4th GGF (who thankfully got married a second time or I would have never found these)). 1. My...
by sforza
04 Jan 2015, 18:56

Hi Marty, The Palermo church records (going back to the 1500s for some parishes) are now available for order at the LDS family history centers. I sent a request that they post these online to familysearch in browsable format as there is no master index and the Palermo diocese itself covers dozens of...
by sforza
24 Nov 2014, 16:51
Topic: Trieste Genealogy & Surnames-Andorlig
Replies: 7
Views: 791

Re: Trieste Genealogy & Surnames-Andorlig

Thanks, Suanj. I think the "Rayfemberg" reference on the Trieste cognomi site may be a typo. The closest placename I can find is "Reifenberg" in Germany.
by sforza
24 Nov 2014, 14:34

Suanj - Fantastic! I will pursue that and see what the church comes up with.
by sforza
24 Nov 2014, 09:09

I can scan it, but it is not a copy of the original church register; the info has been transcribed onto a form. The transcription is a neat, unambiguous print (not script).
by sforza
23 Nov 2014, 20:06

Trieste Genealogy & Surnames-Andorlig

Hi, My research has taken me up the boot to Trieste, where a 4th GGM, Maria Ballarin, was born. I received from the Diocese copies of her baptismal, marriage and burial certs. Unfortunately, they are barebones. But her birth cert contained her mother's name, Maria Andorlig. This name does not appear...
by sforza
11 Aug 2013, 22:34
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: moglie in secondo letto
Replies: 2
Views: 266

moglie in secondo letto

Does this mean "second wife"?
by sforza
29 Oct 2012, 01:58
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Change in policy -adult relative piggybacking
Replies: 6
Views: 1258

Re: Change in policy -adult relative piggybacking

A concern I would have is the potential renewed scrutiny of a file. Example - someone is recognized in Philly w/a pre-1912 naturalization while next-in-line is a minor. Someone is piggybacking off of that recognition in NY, which clearly excludes such individuals from JS eligibility. How does NY pro...
by sforza
24 Oct 2012, 20:40
Topic: Success in Newark!
Views: 1378

Re: Success in Newark!

Congratulations to you, Roberta!
Neither can I! And hopefully with an Italian passport! I'll be there for a month starting this June.
by sforza
24 Oct 2012, 18:21
Topic: Change in policy -adult relative piggybacking
Views: 1258

Re: Change in policy -adult relative piggybacking

For sure. It is intuitive that a first degree JS case simply requires the Italian birth and citizenship cert of the parent to proceed. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be how it is viewed, at least by Newark. To quote from its website: "If the applicant has relatives who have obtained the reco...
by sforza
24 Oct 2012, 13:41

Re: Success in Newark!

Thanks, everyone. @Kontessa, no, I was not recognized that day. One more visit (I hope) and I'm recognized! The next project would be jus matrimonio for my dad, whose application was rejected for a pre-1912 naturalization when his GF was a minor. And then jus matrimonio for my husband, who is not It...
by sforza
23 Oct 2012, 18:22

Success in Newark!

Approximately 16 months after my mother's first appointment in Newark and two yrs since I started collecting documents, my mother was recognized and registered in the AIRE. The delay involved a single document, which ended up taking a year to get due to bureaucratic screw-ups at NJ vital records. Th...