Search found 253 matches

by stfrancis
26 May 2020, 19:34
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Antonio De Lena - any info
Replies: 15
Views: 354

Re: Antonio De Lena - any info

Most of the older police files are destroyed, the more recent ones (maybe 1950's on) exist but you won't get access to those of course. However small parts of the police files may be found with the archived court files at the BANQ, assuming of course the file was selected for archiving at the BANQ. ...
by stfrancis
23 May 2020, 16:04

Wow, suanj, good work. Thank you. I'm embarrassed because I looked in the naturalizations but I never used the Wildcard for the name so he didnt show up! So you think this is the right person, looks like it. I believe Greco also from Campobasso, because in the newspaper articles it mentions Di Lena ...
by stfrancis
23 May 2020, 15:44

AntonioDeLenaBirth1878.jpg
Thank you suanj, good work anyway.

Here is the Antonio DiLena I find born in Afragola in 1878, I don't think he married (at least not in Afragola) and I do not find his death in Afragola (index ends in 1930)....maybe this his him, but I need more clues.... :?:
by stfrancis
22 May 2020, 17:27

Interesting points, thank you. The travel documents say: -arrived in NY in May 1907 -returns to Italy to join his wife in Jan 1907 (transits through NY, (M) married or (D) divorced) -returns to Toronto (from Italy) in Sep 1912 (transits through NY, joining his brothers, leaving his wife in Italy My ...
by stfrancis
22 May 2020, 02:39

Thank you both, adelfio and suanj but I really don't know, it's difficult because there are no other clues to base the search on. I do not think he was in Toronto, and I'm quite sure he did not marry (at least was single in 1914-1915), based on 2 or 3 of his newspaper articles. The prison register m...
by stfrancis
20 May 2020, 22:03

Antonio De Lena - any info

Hi everyone. I have been searching for any information on Antonio DeLena, or DiLena...(often mispelled, DeLina, etc.). The newspaper articles in Montreal say he was 36 yrs old (born about 1879), in Italy. I believe he remained unmarried. He maybe came from Afragola, or Naples, but that is mostly bas...
by stfrancis
15 Mar 2020, 14:47
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Banns - polishing
Replies: 7
Views: 209

Re: Banns - polishing

Thank you. I attach his actual marriage document. I did a rough translation, but possibly missing a few more details ? On October 11th, 1871, at 8 am, in the community hall, Piazza Street, before me, FrancescoAntonio Bove, mayor and civil status official of Sala Consilina, Province of Salerno, and i...
by stfrancis
14 Mar 2020, 17:35

I want to thank you so much for your expertise.

It actually looks a bit like the word ended originally with an "e", that was changed to an "i"....

But for Caterina, after her father's name, Vincenzo, I see the profession of "shoemaker", so in this case it would apply to the father, do you agree?
by stfrancis
13 Mar 2020, 00:59

Grazie.

mmogno, thank you for making perfect sense of the first document. Regarding the "Pepernieri",should I assume this applies to Michele's father (Luigi), and NOT to Michele ?
by stfrancis
12 Mar 2020, 01:52

Banns - polishing

I attached the 1871 banns,I assume? from 2 different dates, for Florio. I would appreciate if someone could refine my "rough" attempt at translating the documents. After I will try to post the actual marriage. Also, you will notice what appears to be his or his father's profession ?, which term is n...
by stfrancis
23 Jan 2020, 12:31
Topic: Early Naturalizations with declaration
Replies: 5
Views: 353

Re: Early Naturalizations with declaration

Thank you for your input. He the only one who appears in the Ellis Island and FamilySearch databases which include several million each of the earliest arrivals. My understanding from Creech at NARA is that the vast majority of the New York arrivals are available in one form or another. That said, t...
by stfrancis
22 Jan 2020, 18:40

Re: Early Naturalizations with declaration

Before 1906, there was an exceptional form for minors, accordingly a minor immigrant, upon reaching the age of 23, could submit his declaration and petition at the same time (one step), and upon his 5 year residency. Here is my latest reasoning.... I know the Focarile naturalization is the correct p...
by stfrancis
21 Jan 2020, 15:52

Early Naturalizations with declaration

Comparing these naturalizations I found: The first one, in 1877, for Florio, mentions "Minor" at the very top. The second one, in 1879, for Focarile, does not. In both cases, the clause language refers to "residing 5 years in the US, including 3 years of his minority". (I assume 3 years minority is ...
by stfrancis
21 Jan 2020, 12:41
Topic: Sala Consilina Gaps in Records
Replies: 3
Views: 236

Re: Sala Consilina Gaps in Records

Thank you Marty, that is what I referred to. Of about 20 of my surnames in the correct time period, I found 1 military record for Sala. I do realize there can be many exceptions why they didn't do military service, but I still find it odd no one appears on the leva. (Although I had the same situatio...
by stfrancis
20 Jan 2020, 17:30
Topic: Sala Consilina Gaps in Records
Replies: 3
Views: 236

Sala Consilina Gaps in Records

To anyone with experience in navigating the records in Sala. As you may know there are several gaps in the civil vital records, the biggest, in the period 1845 to 1860, or thereabout. Is there anyone who was able to fill the gaps with church records, or will this be the same problem ? Also, there is...