Search found 52 matches

by parkergambino
30 Sep 2019, 15:31
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Need help locating a family through USA Census
Replies: 4
Views: 206

Re: Need help locating a family through USA Census

Here are some notes I took while searching marriages at the New York City Vital Records office, 31 Chambers Street (room 103); perhaps they will be helpful. Unfortunately, it involves arcane bureaucracy, always several steps before getting a printout, and in reviewing my notes, there are some fuzzy ...
by parkergambino
24 Sep 2019, 06:52
Topic: Availability of Palermo "Citta" records
Replies: 6
Views: 308

Re: Availability of Palermo "Citta" records

Tornabene and the Palermo Indices A few items in this thread might create a misimpression of the relationship between Hugh Tornabene and the 10-year Palermo Civile Indexes. The following account is based on my own experience as well as information I've received from several genealogists whom I consi...
by parkergambino
20 Sep 2019, 03:53
Topic: Availability of Palermo "Citta" records
Replies: 6
Views: 308

Re: Availability of Palermo "Citta" records

One can no longer deal directly with Hugh Tornabene (check spelling!), as he passed away in 2016. Before his death he was able to wrangle the Palermo matrimoni indexes into a sort-able MS Excel file, but did not get around to doing the same for births and deaths. Still, as has been pointed out, the ...
by parkergambino
23 Aug 2019, 05:08
Topic: Find my greatgrandfather in Italy
Replies: 8
Views: 3977

Re: Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

I guess this inquiry is directed first to Carmine/Johnny on the Spot, but it seems like he hasn't posted in about 5 years, so ... I am having trouble connecting to the two linked sites mentioned earlier in this thread: "This site ( http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... html#start ) finds sever...
by parkergambino
04 Aug 2019, 04:59
Topic: Is Guiseppe also considered Joseph in Italy?
Replies: 10
Views: 501

Re: Is Guiseppe also considered Joseph in Italy?

Thank you Pippo, Sometimes I follow my intuition and find out that it was correct, but sometimes not. In this case, my intuition is confirmed (about no letter "N" in Giuseppe, and certainly not pronounced with an N sound). And every time that happens, I get a bit more confident in my intuition! Parker
by parkergambino
28 Jul 2019, 15:31
Topic: Need info - Randazzo/DiBona
Replies: 11
Views: 558

Re: Need info - Randazzo/DiBona

The occupation of nearly every Randazzo I've looked at from the Palermo area (mostly Sferracavallo) is fisherman. And to this day, there is a Randazzo fish market on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. Like so many others, the family trade was retained when coming to this country.

Parker
by parkergambino
28 Jul 2019, 15:24
Topic: Is Guiseppe also considered Joseph in Italy?
Replies: 10
Views: 501

Re: Is Guiseppe also considered Joseph in Italy?

While we're on the Giuseppe/Joseph trail, I have noticed in numerous documents the name "Ginseppe". Although some of these can be chalked up to imprecision in a computer OCR (optical character recognition) program reading the documents, I don't think that accounts for all that I've seen. I have alwa...
by parkergambino
24 Jun 2019, 14:46
Topic: Identifying the mother of Rosa LoNano
Replies: 3
Views: 215

Re: Identifying the mother of Rosa LoNano

Tessa,

Thanks. This is not the only instance of this happening in this "family".

Parker
by parkergambino
24 Jun 2019, 06:30
Topic: Identifying the mother of Rosa LoNano
Views: 215

Identifying the mother of Rosa LoNano

I'm having trouble reading this document; the father of Rosa LoNano is identified as Agostino LoNano. From what I can tell, the mother is not married to Agostino, and her name is not mentioned. Am I correct in my interpretation? http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/Archivio+di+Stato+di+Trapani/...
by parkergambino
24 Feb 2019, 19:58
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Searching for birth certificates yourself
Views: 548

Re: Searching for birth certificates yourself

I second that motion. The best way to get help from this site is to provide the fullest information available: The basics are the person's name, date of birth (or at least a range), specific location in Italy of the event. Other helpful info would include the names of parents and other relatives. Pa...
by parkergambino
27 Jan 2019, 23:31
Topic: Antenati site
Replies: 5
Views: 505

Re: Antenati site

It's been broken (not on line) for me, now the second day

Parker
by parkergambino
15 Jan 2019, 14:21
Topic: Cusimano Family In Castelbuono, Sicily
Replies: 43
Views: 9677

Re: Cusimano Family In Castelbuono, Sicily

Athena I see from this thread that there is at least one Pietro Failla in the mix. One branch of my Castelbuono relatives lived for a while in Greenwich, Connecticut, eventually settling in Port Chester, New York. The godfather of my older cousin was named Pete Failla (a barber), and he is present i...
by parkergambino
15 Jan 2019, 13:33
Topic: Need help finding GGGGF Atti di Morti Francesco Graziano
Replies: 0
Views: 225

Need help finding GGGGF Atti di Morti Francesco Graziano

Francesco Graziano married to Maddalena Megna, was alive when she passed in 1865. I looked through the 10-year morti indexes on Antenati, and found a suspect who died in 1867: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/Archivio+di+Stato+di+Palermo/Stato+civile+della+restaurazione/Palermo/Morti+indici...
by parkergambino
23 Dec 2018, 21:55
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Palermo sezioni - Reunite?
Replies: 1
Views: 401

Palermo sezioni - Reunite?

Hello all, There is a long thread related to this topic on the genealogy forum (Palermo death indexes) if you are interested in all of the details. Here's the short version. As you may know, Palermo is divided up into numerous "sezioni" (plural), each with its own set of indexes. There is also a lar...
by parkergambino
23 Dec 2018, 21:32
Topic: RE:PALERMO DEATH INDEXES 1856-65
Replies: 8
Views: 754

Re: RE:PALERMO DEATH INDEXES 1856-65

Al contrario, bbivona, I'm still on the upswing of my learning curve for the Palermo Antenati records. Here are my observations and some speculation. I'm always happy to be shown the light when correction is called for! My cursory exam of the Antenati morti holdings for the Palermo sezioni shows tha...