Italian records site down?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ARotolante

Italian records site down?

Post by ARotolante »

I was wondering if anyone knew what is happening with the Italian records portal.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it

I haven't been able to access it for the last couple of days. I'd been using it to research my Capestrano ancestors. Anytime I navigate there now, the page won't load.

I use Chrome to access the internet. I think I'll try another browser to see if that helps.

Anyway, I'd like to hear if anyone else is having trouble.

Cheers!
Ann
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Italian records site down?

Post by Tessa78 »

Still down today :(

T.
carmenvalenziano
Elite
Elite

Post by carmenvalenziano »

everything is down still :( - hope it doesn't have anything to do with familysearch or ancestry buying them out
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

carmenvalenziano wrote:everything is down still :( - hope it doesn't have anything to do with familysearch or ancestry buying them out

Just curious, wouldn't that be a good thing if they were bought out?
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

Well - it's nice that is FREE. I wish it were indexed, but that's okay.

It was also free (a couple of years ago) through Family Search. If Ancestry takes over, then it would require a membership to access the records.

I don't know what I'll do if they pull the records portal down permanently. I've been able to do a lot of research fairly quickly on my ancestors. It's been a GREAT resource to have available.

If anyone hears anything, please keep us posted here!
Lucia

Post by Lucia »

I just found this site - http://www.antenati-italiani.org/

Could the site have been modified and changed?
Families of interest: Gallerani, Bodio
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

Hi, Lucia

The site you came across is actually quite different. It looks like the site you found is for people who want to help index the Italian records.

The one I was using has actual digital images of the original records for research.

Cheers!
Ann :)
Lucia

Post by Lucia »

That's good to know! I was worried about not being able to filter through the actual documents!
Families of interest: Gallerani, Bodio
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ARotolante wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew what is happening with the Italian records portal.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it

I haven't been able to access it for the last couple of days. I'd been using it to research my Capestrano ancestors. Anytime I navigate there now, the page won't load.

I use Chrome to access the internet. I think I'll try another browser to see if that helps.

Anyway, I'd like to hear if anyone else is having trouble.

Cheers!
Ann
today, Antenati website is ok :D
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
carmenvalenziano
Elite
Elite

Post by carmenvalenziano »

wonderful !!!!
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

Yay! That's fantastic!!!! :D
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 113yearslater »

I'm actually curious about this site, mostly because I've never once been able to find anything through it, so I'm wondering if I use it correctly. I've already gotten a ton and a half of information on my family through FamilySearch, so I do know how to do family history research fairly well, but this site has never given me a single result. Does it simply not have any records from Chieti or Potenza?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

113yearslater wrote:I'm actually curious about this site, mostly because I've never once been able to find anything through it, so I'm wondering if I use it correctly. I've already gotten a ton and a half of information on my family through FamilySearch, so I do know how to do family history research fairly well, but this site has never given me a single result. Does it simply not have any records from Chieti or Potenza?

Currently these are the only areas available on that website:
Ascoli Piceno, Bari, Catanzaro, Campobasso, Cuneo, Firenze, Genova, L'Aquila, Lucca, Mantova, Messina, Modena, Napoli, Pesaro-Urbino Sezione di Fano, Torino, Treviso, Udine.

However, this website should eventually have records for the areas you mention. I just don't know what the timeline is for those records to become accessible online.

Erudita