Latin record translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lentini
Veteran
Veteran

Latin record translation

Post by lentini »

Hi

I was looking if someone could help me translate the following documents for me please. It is a birth notice and I believe its in Latin. I cannot make out the birth year and who it is for. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
Hand Written birth Act Caterina Lentini.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Latin record translation

Post by erudita74 »

Baptism record for Caterina Rosaria Lentini dated Dedc 19, 1808. She was the legitimate daughter of spouses Pasquale Lentini and (Donna*) Maria Giuseppa Cupito (spelled with two t's in this document).

*Donna is a title and not her first name-

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I read the date of baptism as 10 September 1808
Father: Pasquale Lentini
Mother: Maria Giuseppa Cupito(sp?)
Child given the name Caterina Rosaria

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

what is that before decima in the record?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

erudita74 wrote:what is that before decima in the record?
I see day 10, month September... :-)

I do not think that is a "9" before decima, as it does not resemble the "9" in the date at the bottom of the record.

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The 9 at the bottom of the record is in a notation added in 1945 and was not part of the original record. BTW, the godmother was Rosa Burgese.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

erudita74 wrote:The 9 at the bottom of the record is in a notation added in 1945 and was not part of the original record.
I am inclined to disagree. I believe this is an extraction that was provided in 1945.
I see the handwriting is identical... :-)
Of course, that is only my opinion.

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Yes, it is an extraction of the original but if, in the original it was written as die 9. decima, then that is what would have been written in the extraction

September is the correct month. Have no idea why I typed December in my post above

Erudita
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Tessa78 wrote:
erudita74 wrote:The 9 at the bottom of the record is in a notation added in 1945 and was not part of the original record.
I am inclined to disagree. I believe this is an extraction that was provided in 1945.
I see the handwriting is identical... :-)
Of course, that is only my opinion.

T.
There are no notation, the last sentence is still part of the certificate issued on 30 Sept 1845.
I don't know what is the symbol between the words "die" and "decima". I will try to investigate on another forum and come back with a full transcription
lentini
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lentini »

So its a Baptism record not birth record. So looks like 19 September 1808 ? sorry could not follow the discussion on what was agreed was the date :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Yes it is a baptism certificate. On 30 Sep 1845, the priest certifies that he has found in the baptism book an entry stating that Caterina Rosaria Lentini was baptized on December 10, 1808. She was the daughter of Pasquale Lentini and of Maria Giuseppa Cupito, married couple.

This is the full transcription:
Certifico io qui sottoscritto arciprete Curato come perquisito il lbro de’ rinati ho ritrovato la particola sequente =
Anno Domini(ni) millesimo octigentesimo octavo 1808 die vero decima mensis septembris (...) Ego subscriptus archipresbiter solemniter baptisavi infantem natam ex legitimis coniugibus Paschali Lentini, et domina Maria Josepha Cupito, cui fuit impositum nomen Catharina, Rosaria. Comatrem fuit Rosa Burgese hujusmet loci et (...) Brunà? Archipresbiter Cupito.

Per vero ho scritto la presente scritta e sottoscritta di mia mano e vallata col solito arcipresbital suggello. Madia (o Badia) 30 Settembre 1845
Io Brunà??? Arciprete Cupito certifico
lentini
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lentini »

Thanks Livio !! Thanks everyone else for contributing.
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

Mother's last name is Cupitò, not Cupito
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
lentini
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lentini »

I just had a look and something does not add up. She was born in 1822 ? so they year of baptism cannot be 1808 ? Could the year be something else you read ?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

lentini wrote:I just had a look and something does not add up. She was born in 1822 ? so they year of baptism cannot be 1808 ? Could the year be something else you read ?
Where did you read she was born 1822?