Search found 2387 matches

by mler
20 Sep 2021, 23:38
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Qualified for citizenship via grand and/or great grandparents
Replies: 7
Views: 1827

Re: Qualified for citizenship via grand and/or great grandparents

Once you are recognized, you are entered in the AIRE registry at the consulate. The consulate will send your information to your ancestral comune for registration there. Once they do so, you can request a copy of your birth (marriage) registration from the comune, but it’s not essential to have it.
by mler
20 Sep 2021, 17:20

No, you can’t skip a generation to your gggrandparents who remained in Italy. Yes, your children qualify if you do. I'd add that your children will be automatically Italian citizens after you, if they are minors. If not, they have to go through the same process. (Please correct me, if I'm wrong) Ye...
by mler
20 Sep 2021, 02:11
Topic: Italian Citizenship through Residency for Grandson of Italian Born Citizen
Replies: 5
Views: 2046

Re: Italian Citizenship through Residency for Grandson of Italian Born Citizen

One question: Were your grandparents married before your gf naturalized? Otherwise, as you know, you have already met the residency requirement was for naturalization since your gf was Italian. I doubt the death certificate for your father is necessary, but it may be a good idea to check with your c...
by mler
18 Sep 2021, 01:25

You will need to follow the male line before you can even consider a 1948 case through the female line. Your gf was born in 1906 to Italian parents. You need to prove that your GGF was still an Italian citizen when your gf was born. This means that he never naturalized or that he naturalized after 1...
by mler
16 Sep 2021, 19:44
Topic: Children born in U.S before father's naturalization
Views: 7293

Re: Children born in U.S before father's naturalization

This is a strange inconsistency between the consulates and the courts. The consulates correctly consider that the 1912 prevented the loss of citizenship if the father naturalized during the child’s minority, and the child was born in a jus soli country before the date of naturalization. For some rea...
by mler
07 Sep 2021, 15:41
Topic: Was my grandmother an Italian citizen?
Replies: 8
Views: 2157

Re: Was my grandmother an Italian citizen?

Not exactly. Before 1948, a woman could hold Italian citizenship, but she could not pass citizenship to her children. Thus, Santos’ mother could have obtained Italian citizenship from her father (who was born to Italian citizens) but not from her mother who although an Italian citizen, could not pas...
by mler
06 Sep 2021, 14:18
Topic: Was my grandmother an Italian citizen?
Replies: 8
Views: 2157

Re: Was my grandmother an Italian citizen?

Actually, no. Your mother did NOT lose her Italian citizenship through marriage to a Brazilian. (If she had lost citizenship, you couldn’t qualify despite the citizenship status of grandfather since generation skipping is not permitted). However, before 1948 women could not pass citizenship to their...
by mler
08 Aug 2021, 02:33
Topic: Do I qualify?
Replies: 2
Views: 2393

Re: Do I qualify?

What was the date of your parents’ marriage? Were you living with your father when he naturalized? I ask the second question because to pass Italian citizenship to his minor child, the child must have been residing with him.
by mler
25 Jul 2021, 00:20
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Looking for Grandfather's Naturalization Record
Replies: 11
Views: 4662

Re: Looking for Grandfather's Naturalization Record

National Archives and Records Administration. They have the federal records of Declarations and Petitions (including Oath). However, I believe I found him as having naturalized in the County of the Bronx in 1930. Record Number 83208. I’m not sure this transmits well, but this is where I found him. G...
by mler
24 Jul 2021, 18:05
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Looking for Grandfather's Naturalization Record
Replies: 11
Views: 4662

Re: Looking for Grandfather's Naturalization Record

In the 1940 census, Evangelista Lorusso (barber) age 40, is listed as living in the Bronx and as naturalized. His wife, Maria, is still listed as “alien.” I’m guessing this is your guy.

You may want to ask NARA to do a records search for you covering the period between his arrival and 1940.
by mler
03 Jul 2021, 18:26
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Unknown Parents
Replies: 4
Views: 1129

Re: Unknown Parents

Ave Gratia Plena - he was the foundling, and, yes, that was likely the orphanage.
by mler
29 Jun 2021, 22:43
Topic: Jure Sanguinis Help
Replies: 13
Views: 6534

Re: Jure Sanguinis Help

That “I received an original Certificate of Citizenship” messed up my thought that you could just submit the Oath. Sorry.

BTW, Certificate of Citizenship means derivative citizenship not naturalization, adding to the confusion.
by mler
29 Jun 2021, 20:46

Do try that link…you never know. Don’t worry about precedent because Italian courts do not follow precedent as is done in the US. Many many people are applying for dual citizenship, and the lawyers and courts are very busy. Some may be reluctant to take a difficult case when they can make easy money...
by mler
29 Jun 2021, 11:52

I understand your arguments, but the major problem is that you would be, in effect, asking the Italian courts to override a decision made by the US. May I suggest that you post this situation on the Tapatalk Italian Citizenship forum. There are several members there who may be able to offer suggesti...