Search found 1896 matches

by mler
15 Nov 2017, 17:21
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Please please help!- Jure Sanguinis
Replies: 3
Views: 155

Re: Please please help!- Jure Sanguinis

Unfortunately, that wouldn’t work. Yes, your gm can easily reacquire her citizenship, but because your father is no longer a minor, the citizenship doesn’t automatically transfer to him or to you. (During his minority, she did not hold Italian citizenship, and it’s during minority that citizenship i...
by mler
04 Nov 2017, 00:07
Topic: 1948 Rule question
Replies: 1
Views: 106

Re: 1948 Rule question

No, the consulates do not accept that a woman could transfer citizenship before 1948. However, the courts have disagreed. It seems you do have a 1948 case, but you will need to contact a lawyer to pursue it. There is a very active "1948" thread on this site. I believe that court cases have been quit...
by mler
03 Nov 2017, 13:03
Topic: Documentation when rejected for naturalization because of illiteracy
Replies: 1
Views: 87

Re: Documentation when rejected for naturalization because of illiteracy

Have you checked with NARA? They may have any preliminary papers that were submitted (date dependent), and its possible that a notation was made on those records. If, however, you have the requisite no record letters, you can then use census data (also obtained through NARA) to support that claim.
by mler
26 Oct 2017, 16:14
Topic: Adoption and Re-adoption
Replies: 4
Views: 123

Re: Adoption and Re-adoption

It seems to make sense to submit all the paperwork you have (Chinese birth certificate, adoption certificate, NJ modified birth certificate). By providing all relevant documents, your minor (I assume minor) child will be officially registered as an adopted child of an Italian citizen and will obtain...
by mler
22 Oct 2017, 21:11
Topic: Dual citizenship-proof of reaquisition of Italian citizenship
Replies: 35
Views: 779

Re: Dual citizenship-proof of reaquisition of Italian citizenship

NextMove wrote: "When I visited the Consulate in London, they sent me away to find proof." I guess you missed that. That's the proof he/she is trying to get as advised by the comune in Puglia (I'm thinking Lecce). I should add, though, that even if the consulate had not directed him to further resea...
by mler
22 Oct 2017, 20:41

Ok, now that this nonsense has ended, we need to discuss NextMove's next move. NextMove, if the comune does indeed add the addendum to your mom's birth certificate, you should have no difficulty in obtaining citizenship recognition since that's exactly what they requested. If, however, they do not r...
by mler
22 Oct 2017, 20:06

Yes, I know where Puglia is and Perugia and have been to each place more than once. The Cable Act does not apply to most Italian immigrants who entered the USA during the mass migration. You are the only person who repeats it over and over again ad nauseum because it happened to affect your grand-m...
by mler
22 Oct 2017, 19:45

Jennebet, I really don't want to fight with you. The purpose of this forum is to help those who need it, and to share the information we have. None of us are experts, but it behooves us to correct inaccurate information when it is presented as fact. That's how we help each other. I really think you ...
by mler
22 Oct 2017, 16:14

You're right, Carubia, she may well have believed she lost it, but because she acquired citizenship automatically through marriage and not through her own naturalization, she remained an Italian citizen. Jennebet was correct in her assertion that any reacquisition would not have affected her adult c...
by mler
21 Oct 2017, 20:20

NextMove, it seems to me that this is a classic case of "passing the buck." Italian citizenship laws are complicated, and I think Puglia wants to avoid making an error. By requesting an addendum to your mom's birth record, they pass the decision to her comune. You have a lot of documentation that su...
by mler
21 Oct 2017, 19:50

My goodness, jennebet, why do you try so hard to find ways to deny people the citizenship to which they are entitled? Just a few posts earlier, you were stating that the mother definitely lost her citizenship because she married a British citizen and that, since she reacquired when NextMove was an a...
by mler
21 Oct 2017, 19:20

LOL. But you see, jennebet, the comune has already acknowledged her citizenship in its records, so there may be no need for a court case. That's the whole point.
by mler
21 Oct 2017, 18:57

NextMove, your mom did everything she was supposed to do, and fortunately, today the courts recognize that she never even needed to take that reacquisition step since she never naturalized to obtain another citizenship. In reality, though, the procedure you describe to reacquire citizenship is a fai...
by mler
21 Oct 2017, 18:36

Did she naturalize? No. Did she renounce her citizenship at the consulate? No. Since she did neither, she did NOT lose Italian citizenship. She simply obtained British citizenship automatically, and, if you've been paying attention, the Italian courts have ruled that obtaining a citizenship automati...
by mler
21 Oct 2017, 17:59

Why on earth would a comune have to check with a consulate? It's the other way around. The comune knows she was married and is living in London. That's why the comune has her registered as an Italian citizen living abroad. Take particular note of the Italian citizen part. All they need do is add tha...