Search found 2293 matches

by mler
25 May 2020, 02:51
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Jure sangiuinis / Great Grandmother sold to another family / naturalization under father
Replies: 2
Views: 119

Re: Jure sangiuinis / Great Grandmother sold to another family / naturalization under father

I should add that you need not bother to prove that your ggm was sold. If this was, in fact, the case, it has no bearing on her citizenship status. She was born with Italian citizenship because her father was an Italian citizen when she was born. Her father’s subsequent naturalization had no effect ...
by mler
24 May 2020, 20:23
Topic: Jure sangiuinis / Great Grandmother sold to another family / naturalization under father
Replies: 2
Views: 119

Re: Jure sangiuinis / Great Grandmother sold to another family / naturalization under father

The first scenario doesn’t work. Your Italy born ggf did indeed naturalize with his father. This is called derivative naturalization, and because he is listed on his father’s papers, he would not have his own naturalization record. Since your gm was born in the US, she retained the Italian citizensh...
by mler
17 May 2020, 22:33
Topic: Jure sangunis for grandson?
Replies: 6
Views: 281

Re: Jure sangunis for grandson?

The consulate rules will not be a problem at all no matter where she resides. Your daughter will not be applying for citizenship for her children; they are already citizens. She is simply completing the requirement that all citizens to keep their AIRE files updated. Given the Covid situation and the...
by mler
16 May 2020, 17:38

I should add that the address change should go more quickly. They simply need to update the address. Not document checking.
by mler
16 May 2020, 17:27

It is a bit of a hassle. I did this for my son, who is a physician and super busy. I opted for the snail mail approach because I felt more comfortable doing so. Like your daughter, my son had moved from the address he initially used with the consulate. Unlike your daughter, he did not register his m...
by mler
11 May 2020, 15:51
Topic: Jure sangiuinis - second cousin - maternal path
Views: 346

Re: Jure sangiuinis - second cousin - maternal path

If the ggm was over 21, she would not have naturalized with her parents. You would have to check if she naturalized on her own at some later date.

Definitely check other possibilities. You cannot file a 1948 claim if there is a viable path through the consulate.
by mler
11 May 2020, 15:44

If your daughter is an Italian citizen, her son is as well. She needs to update her AIRE file to include her marriage (if she has not done so already) and add the birth information for her son. No application is needed; your grandson is already an Italian citizen, but his information needs to be reg...
by mler
08 Apr 2020, 20:09
Topic: Jure sangiuinis - second cousin - maternal path
Views: 346

Re: Jure sangiuinis - second cousin - maternal path

The age of majority in the 1920’s was 21. Since the ggm naturalized in 1922 with her family, she lost her Italian citizenship at that time.

Since she was not married pre-Cable Act, this is a straightforward loss of citizenship through naturalization.
by mler
28 Mar 2020, 21:53
Topic: Seeking Advice! Italian citizenship next steps: 1948 case, or... ?
Replies: 4
Views: 260

Re: Seeking Advice! Italian citizenship next steps: 1948 case, or... ?

Yes, if your ggf naturalized during that period, you would need to go the 1948 route. However, your gm was born only three years after your ggf arrived in the US. The odds are good that he did not naturalize until after her birth.
by mler
07 Mar 2020, 20:07
Topic: Illegitimate
Replies: 1
Views: 179

Re: Illegitimate

Does the line run through your father or your mother? Illegitimacy does not affect citizenship. However, if your line goes through your father, a statement from him acknowledging paternity would be very helpful.
by mler
17 Feb 2020, 19:01
Topic: Missing ONE document (naturalization vs world war 2)
Views: 1396

Re: Missing ONE document (naturalization vs world war 2)

Just an FYI for those following this—serving in the US army during WWII did not affect Italian citizenship.
by mler
10 Feb 2020, 17:04
Topic: Do I Meet requirements for Italian Citizenship?
Replies: 1
Views: 265

Re: Do I Meet requirements for Italian Citizenship?

Your post is a bit confusing. It would be impossible for your gm to be an Italian citizen when you were born but NOT an Italian citizen when your mom was born. So, assuming your gm was an Italian citizen when your mother was born after 1948, your mother obtained Italian citizenship at that time. How...
by mler
05 Jan 2020, 16:17
Topic: Italian citizenship vs US Naturalization prior to WW1
Replies: 9
Views: 680

Re: Italian citizenship vs US Naturalization prior to WW1

It seems both would have reacquired Italian citizenship, and you may want to check the comune records because their residency would be established there. At the same time, neither would have lost US citizenship (exceedingly difficult to do).
by mler
05 Jan 2020, 12:48

Yes, he would have reacquired his Italian citizenship by serving in the Italian military. Actually, he was probably considered an Italian citizen long before his service if he and his parents resided in Italy for the requisite number of years (I believe it was 5.) His Initial difficulty in obtaining...
by mler
05 Jan 2020, 01:52

If he served in the Italian army, he would have been considered an Italian citizen.

Before the 1912 citizenship law was enacted, any naturalization by the father caused the loss of Italian citizenship for him, his wife and his minor children no matter where or when they were born.