Search found 1108 matches

by carubia
27 Dec 2020, 00:56
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Catanaza or Catanese Surname?
Replies: 7
Views: 2453

Re: Catanaza or Catanese Surname?

Tencat951 wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 14:26 Many immigrants coming through Ellis Island often had their names misspelled for this reason.
The misspelling didn't derive from their passage through Ellis Island. The passenger manifests were filled out at the point of departure by Italians.
by carubia
27 Dec 2020, 00:05
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Marriage Record Translation
Replies: 10
Views: 1161

Re: Marriage Record Translation

In Sicily, too, people would have to have their birth registered before they could marry. This was sometimes done by their father registering the birth years after the fact but often a court order was necessary. Keep in mind that by the time Concetta married, Sicily was part of Italy and the same la...
by carubia
10 Nov 2020, 16:01
Topic: Lauri Family Birth Records Search Striking Out
Replies: 43
Views: 8723

Re: Lauri Family Birth Records Search Striking Out

deckrdshaw wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 20:16 so I am not sure if Santa Lucia is the church she was baptized in, or the town.
It is the parish of Santa Lucia in the city of Messina. The information came from the baptismal section of her civil birth record.
by carubia
30 Jul 2019, 17:25
Topic: Searching for Vito Calise from Forio
Replies: 40
Views: 11075

Re: Searching for Vito Calise from Forio

On Ancestry, one can see the index for the marriage between Sebastiano Scalia and Dora Cataldo in Brooklyn on 21 Dec 1918. Someone should order the record (certificate #13457) from the NYC Archives and see who their parents were.
by carubia
07 Jan 2019, 07:08
Topic: Giovanna Fauci / Antonino Bellitti
Replies: 34
Views: 9334

Re: Giovanna Fauci / Antonino Bellitti

Hi sciacca100.

I just had Ancestry send you an invitation.

According to Ancestry, Vincenza Bellitti was the "grand-niece of wife of husband of [my] 5th cousin 4x removed." So not really related.
by carubia
05 Oct 2018, 13:11
Topic: Immigrant Name Changes
Replies: 28
Views: 15068

Re: Immigrant Name Changes

In our family the names were changed accordingly: Nataluccio/Natale Is that a surname? Natalucci is a common surname, but Nataluccio is not found in Italy now. Natale is already an Italian given name. Valleverdina/Dina Wow, that is rare! Guiseppe/Joseph It's Giuseppe. Evelyn/Eve Evelyn is English, ...
by carubia
07 Aug 2018, 06:37
Topic: Brazilian looking for his great-great-grandfather
Replies: 24
Views: 7342

Re: Brazilian looking for his great-great-grandfather

FWIW, here is your GGF Stefano Sciangula in my tree. Vincenz Zirafa and Caterina Mattana may have died in San Biagio Platani, as that's where their younger daughter Giuseppa was born and died. Giuseppe Moscato may have been from Canicatti. The leaf that you can see attached to him is a hint to the t...
by carubia
05 Aug 2018, 14:56
Topic: Baiamonte death record
Replies: 9
Views: 1961

Re: Baiamonte death record

You asked if there was any other pertinent information. You seem to be reading it pretty well already, so you probably noticed this, but for all 3 people named in the record their (deceased) fathers' names are also given. FWIW, I agree with Erudita that it looks like Burdellanti (or Burdellenti). Th...
by carubia
05 Aug 2018, 10:01
Topic: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate
Replies: 88
Views: 16146

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Yes, i've confirmed her 3rd marriage. Here is the marriage record from Cammarata from 1918 for the marriage of Giuseppe Tagliarini and Concetta Di Marco:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1946817
by carubia
05 Aug 2018, 07:30
Topic: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate
Replies: 88
Views: 16146

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

I haven't seen this mentioned upthread, so I'll ask: Did Concetta Di Marco marry to Giuseppe Tagliarini, the brother of Francesco Tagliarini, after her 2nd husband Salvatore Sorce died (in 1916)? Here's a passenger manifest from 1919 showing Concetta traveling with Giuseppe and her children Angela D...
by carubia
04 Aug 2018, 18:47
Topic: Italian using two last names from Agrigento / Maurici-Lino
Replies: 21
Views: 9358

Re: Italian using two last names from Agrigento / Maurici-Lino

bbivona wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 18:28 Ok, I was just looking at the tree in the original post, which did not show them.
No problem. I appreciate your taking the time to look up those records, but I feel bad because they had already been found
by carubia
04 Aug 2018, 15:14

Depending where this info came from, like the familysearch site. It looks to me like Maurici was married to a Lino. That site always adds Mothers name last. My ancestors read Eliseo Catuosco Grosso. His mothers name is Grosso. The information came from images of the actual civil records, not just a...
by carubia
04 Aug 2018, 09:52

So much for the theory that Ciro Maurici Lino's parents were Salvadore Lino Trono and Ignazia Maurici from Bivona: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G94S-TS6S?i=2324&wc=MC5G-GWL%3A349457201%2C349457202%2C954413201&cc=2043548&cat=529842 According to his death record his par...