Search found 1084 matches

by carubia
20 Feb 2018, 05:02
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Searching for Vito Calise from Forio
Replies: 37
Views: 1795

Re: Searching for Vito Calise from Forio

Could Loreta and Dora have been the same person, or sisters?

If Sebastiano Scalia was your GF, then you and I are 4th cousins once removed. At least that much I know. You can see my tree for him on Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... 4756/facts
by carubia
18 Feb 2018, 12:12
Topic: Searching for Vito Calise from Forio
Replies: 37
Views: 1795

Re: Searching for Vito Calise from Forio

Yes, that is Dora Castaldo, who married Sebastiano Scalia in 1918 in Brooklyn. The children include 2 from Sebastiano's previous marriage. How do we know she was the same person as Dora Calise?
by carubia
02 Feb 2018, 09:48
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Two pictures in Sicily?
Replies: 7
Views: 213

Re: Two pictures in Sicily?

Also, are they city markers or grave sites? I do have relatives with the last name of Girgente but also know that people may have been named for the cities they lived in. People wouldn't be named for the town they lived in. After all, the purpose of a surname is to distinguish someone - what would ...
by carubia
02 Feb 2018, 09:42
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Mother and son ages seem impossible
Replies: 14
Views: 414

Re: Mother and son ages seem impossible

Even if the name is Pomo in the record that's just a variant of Puma. Pomo, Pumo, Puma, Poma, La Puma, etc. All are variant spellings of the same name, deriving from the word for apple.
by carubia
29 Nov 2017, 01:43
Topic: Death Certificate vs. NARA and USCIS Letters
Replies: 8
Views: 305

Re: Death Certificate vs. NARA and USCIS Letters

An AR-2 was an alien registration form that aliens residing in the US had to complete, starting around 1940.
by carubia
28 Nov 2017, 15:59
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Seek Info on Calogero Interrante di Sciacca, Agrigento
Replies: 10
Views: 277

Re: Seek Info on Calogero Interrante di Sciacca, Agrigento

You don't need to have an Ancestry account to view the tree. If you send me your email address by a PM on this site, I'll have Ancestry send you an invitation to view the tree.
by carubia
27 Nov 2017, 07:45
Topic: Death Certificate vs. NARA and USCIS Letters
Replies: 8
Views: 305

Re: Death Certificate vs. NARA and USCIS Letters

Did Calogera Scurti ever naturalize? Have you tried searching for her naturalization documentation? Have you found any census records for Alberto between 1910 and 1940? How about his WWI draft card? Have you tried getting no records letters from county courts, in addition to NARA and USCIS? You'll n...
by carubia
24 Nov 2017, 00:03
Topic: Italian Antenati Website Problems
Views: 435

Re: Italian Antenati Website Problems

It would not be easy to DL or zip just the indexes. Their file names when you DL them from Antenati are not distinct from the file names for ordinary records.

If you can unzip small files you can unzip large ones.
by carubia
23 Nov 2017, 11:06

Ron, I could DL all the Racalmuto files onto my computer, zip them into several files of size about 1 GB each, and UL them to a file sharing site such as MediaFire. Then you could DL the files from the account I create on that site, and unzip them on your computer. Do you have an application on your...
by carubia
23 Nov 2017, 05:17

It would probably take a couple of days to DL everything on Antenati for Racalmuto. The reason why it takes so long is that Antenati's website goes down frequently and the connection breaks. The problem then is that I would have all the files on my laptop and I'd need to send them to you somehow. Th...
by carubia
23 Nov 2017, 05:13

I have created an Excel file that will go to the website and download all the images in that folder or for that year. You can also specify an image and download all the rest in that folder. You can list up the comuni, record types, and years you want and have the program loop through the list, downl...
by carubia
23 Nov 2017, 03:47
Topic: Proietto or Figlio Naturale
Replies: 18
Views: 373

Re: Proietto or Figlio Naturale

TerraLavoro,

Yes, I've seen that in Sicily as well, after 1865, when civil marriage was introduced.
by carubia
23 Nov 2017, 03:41

Ron,

How many towns are you working in? Why don't you just download all the records for them once and be done with it?
by carubia
22 Nov 2017, 17:01

suanj, It seems that you still don't understand my point. I wasn't disagreeing with you about the situation in Italy or in any other country, in any time period. I just wanted to make sure that the OP understood what figlio naturale meant, because the English words you used to describe it could caus...
by carubia
22 Nov 2017, 13:35

The OP is asking now what the phrase means so we should respond using modern English so that we will be understood. Whether the term "figlio naturale" is still used is irrelevant. If someone asked, in English, what a procurator was, I wouldn't respond in Latin. Here's a definition that I think we ca...