Search found 1271 matches

by jennabet
16 Jun 2018, 22:19
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Carrying Palms For Safe Travel
Replies: 5
Views: 191

Re: Carrying Palms For Safe Travel

In Italy on Palm Sunday, palms are not blessed and distributed. Only Olive branches are blessed and distributed.
by jennabet
14 Jun 2018, 14:01
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: No clear advise from Luigi Paiano
Replies: 4
Views: 145

Re: No clear advise from Luigi Paiano

It sounds like Mr. Piano does not think you have a court case and has not taken you as a client and is advising you that he does not assist with cases for the consulates.
by jennabet
27 May 2018, 13:06
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Geneaologist Needed
Replies: 0
Views: 76

Geneaologist Needed

Can someone advise how I would go about locating a reasonably priced genealogist to do research for someone who thinks a parent (the father) was adopted, thereby causing the descendants to carry an incorrect sur name? The family is not Italian but may have roots in Mexico, Israel or the Middle East.
by jennabet
25 May 2018, 19:39
Topic: Convoluted paper trail, advice needed!
Replies: 4
Views: 186

Re: Convoluted paper trail, advice needed!

The Puzzio family are not your ancestors and you cannot apply for Italian citizenship through them. Unless you can find the biological parents of your great-great-grandfather, you don't have a case for jures sanguinis through him.
by jennabet
16 May 2018, 20:24
Topic: Confused on eligibility Jure Sanguinis?
Replies: 58
Views: 13385

Re: Confused on eligibility Jure Sanguinis?

The rule of most consulates is that if you come up empty because you ancestor was never naturalized, you do have to provide the census, but I don't know how it would be interpreted if it's wrong. Some immigrants were known to not be totally honest with their answers, perhaps saying they were natural...
by jennabet
11 May 2018, 20:23
Topic: Name Change Confusion
Replies: 13
Views: 478

Re: Name Change Confusion

When PM Letta granted Italian citizenship to the migrants who died trying to reach Lampedusa, it was ultimately a symbolic act. While they were officially made citizens, the migrants were dead. They weren't going to be applying for passports or enrolling with SSN or INPS. Yes, indeed all 300 of tho...
by jennabet
11 May 2018, 19:43
Topic: Re-acquisition of citizenship & dual citizenship questions
Replies: 16
Views: 535

Re: Re-acquisition of citizenship & dual citizenship questions

Kate, Y Was your father living at home when his parents naturalized? If he wasn't living with them, and he was an emancipated minor, he would not have lost his Italian citizenship along with his parents. The above information has been mis-interpreted. An Italian minor not living with his parents do...
by jennabet
11 May 2018, 18:41
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Ability to Look at Records after 1910 in Italy in Person
Replies: 5
Views: 214

Re: Ability to Look at Records after 1910 in Italy in Person

I'd be very surprised if you could just start searching in the commune archives without telling the commune official who you're looking for beforehand. A member of my family born in Italy in 1928 has birth circumstances that puzzled me so I asked the commune while I was visiting in person to send me...
by jennabet
11 May 2018, 09:42

Well who knows? Anything can happen considering that in 2015 Italy actually gave Italian citizenship to more than 300 dead African migrants who drowned in the Mediterranean Sea trying to reach Italy illegally. Italy also recently gave Italian citizenship to a British boy who's parents wanted him to ...
by jennabet
09 May 2018, 17:22

You may be able to get a US lawyer to make cases for what you're saying but I don't think any of it will fly with Italian consulates/courts for the purpose of proving this person is an Italian citizen. Get back to us when it actually happens.
by jennabet
08 May 2018, 20:06

When this candidate was born he was given the name of his mother's ex husband and he kept that name for two years. What proof did the mother have when she changed his name to that of the Italian man she had a brief affair with and to whom she was not married? If there was no DNA test to confirm abso...
by jennabet
26 Apr 2018, 10:21

But you don't have the most important document, a marriage certificate. In Italy, a father's name on a birth certificate doesn't mean anything. If, however, the father is legally married to the mother at the time his name is placed on the birth certificate, then indeed Italy considers him to be the ...
by jennabet
24 Apr 2018, 10:11

Even if your Italian father's name does appear on your birth certificate, the fact that your parents were never married means you will have to prove he's your father. If he's still living, you can get him to sign an affidavit stating you are his son. If he's deceased or refuses to acknowledge you, y...
by jennabet
24 Apr 2018, 09:02
Topic: Confused on eligibility Jure Sanguinis?
Replies: 58
Views: 13385

Re: Confused on eligibility Jure Sanguinis?

Yes, it sounds like you qualify through the ancestor who was your paternal great-great grand-father so I would pursue that line. I would not bother looking into the maternal great-great grandmother's line unless you definitely do not qualify through the paternal line because pursuing citizenship thr...