Search found 1185 matches

by jennabet
14 Oct 2017, 14:34
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Unusual question re: Italian connection and how to best make contact
Replies: 11
Views: 619

Re: Unusual question re: Italian connection and how to best make contact

All nice in extensive preparation but not at all necessary. I walked into the office of the commune in Abruzzo, presented my American ID and obtained a copy of my grand-father's birth certificate. Next the sindaco picked up the phone and called my father's first cousin and I was at his home having d...
by jennabet
03 Oct 2017, 10:37
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: It has gotten ridiculous
Replies: 13
Views: 313

Re: It has gotten ridiculous

Oh calm down. It's not like you're stateless. Why do you even need an Italian passport if you aren't going to live in Italy? Jures sanguines citizenship is not the priority of the Italian consulates in the USA. Italian consulates are there to serve the consular needs of Italian citizens living abroa...
by jennabet
28 Sep 2017, 10:57
Topic: Creating a Delayed Italian Birth Certificate
Replies: 37
Views: 587

Re: Creating a Delayed Italian Birth Certificate

Someone in this forum, Adelfio, I think found the correct marriage certificate from New York and he also found a draft registration. Suanj then told the forum that she did a very extensive search for his birth certificate and did find one that matched the information on the marriage certificate exce...
by jennabet
27 Sep 2017, 10:31

How do you know how old he was when he arrived? He probably chose a small town to pick from because he was also from that town. In some cases when they used false ID it was to abandon a wife in Italy or because they had committed some crime that US authorities would uncover. Interestingly, he also d...
by jennabet
26 Sep 2017, 18:16
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Folk Traditions
Replies: 6
Views: 262

Re: Folk Traditions

And especially in the Provinces.
by jennabet
26 Sep 2017, 14:31
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Please help me to find my father in Italy!
Replies: 4
Views: 217

Re: Please help me to find my father in Italy!

The following information is what my mother gave me about my biological father, U.M. …. Umberto Mignosi /Minozzi , she is not sure of the spelling, born in Florence, Italy.From formerly Austrian district. Since1918 it was occupied by Italian troops. Trent 57m North of Verona. My father grew up in T...
by jennabet
26 Sep 2017, 11:55

I don't agree that he was born and baptized elsewhere at least not as the offspring of these parents because the three helpful city officials and the geneaologist who he met with in person would have been able to give some suggestions as to where to look but apparently they were also at a loss. Agai...
by jennabet
26 Sep 2017, 11:29

If they were raised by contadini (farmers), many Italians still continue the folk traditions. My friend actually taught me how to predict the weather and I used the system myself for a couple of years but then lost interest because I was not as accurate. This was due to the fact that I was not as go...
by jennabet
26 Sep 2017, 11:09

Did he arrive in America with his parents or did he arrive alone? If arrived with parents it would be unlikely he could have used false identity. If he arrived alone as an adult he could have assumed the identity of the child with the same name that died at an early age. If so, it would be a good re...
by jennabet
25 Sep 2017, 15:32

My friend in Pescara predicts the weather for an entire year by taking a reading and keeping a log of the weather conditions for every day in the month of December. She does this faithfully every December. And her predictions are pretty accurate.
by jennabet
22 Sep 2017, 22:23

Recreate a birth certificate that was destroyed? How do you know it was destroyed? Did you see it before it was destroyed?
by jennabet
22 Sep 2017, 19:13

If your grand-father was never registered with the state or with the church, no-one is going to make up a an Italian birth certificate without a live witness who knew him before he left Italy. I know some people have gotten away with doing that sort of thing for a deceased person in the US and you p...
by jennabet
22 Sep 2017, 11:09

Unfortunately they never registered with the state, only the church, so that second option is not available. I have personally gone to the town of Salaparuta to find this document. The book with my Great Grandfather's birth record was 100% destroyed. I would definitely have to re-create this docume...
by jennabet
21 Sep 2017, 17:58
Topic: Fried Dough Translation
Replies: 17
Views: 6453

Re: Fried Dough Translation

And of course my Abruzzese grand-parents and parents also called it Pizze Fritte. We used to love it for breakfast in our house.
by jennabet
21 Sep 2017, 09:38
Topic: Fried Dough Translation
Replies: 17
Views: 6453

Re: Fried Dough Translation

In Abruzzo, fried dough is called Pizze Fritte.