Search found 1362 matches

by jennabet
16 Dec 2018, 15:24
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Brazilian need help in Comune di Raffadali - AG
Replies: 8
Views: 2694

Re: Brazilian need help in Comune di Raffadali - AG

You should keep in mind that as a result of new rules enacted first week in December, all communes now have up to six months to act on your type of request. Also it's not likely for security reasons that your commune would give out a physical copy of your document to a random stranger.
by jennabet
16 Dec 2018, 13:58
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Citizenship vs Naturalization
Replies: 2
Views: 1796

Re: Citizenship vs Naturalization

It would be even easier to understand if you just keep in mind that before 1992, actions of the parent always affected the minor children. Parent naturalized, minor children also naturalized -- even if the children were left in Italy while the parent had already migrated to America.
by jennabet
16 Dec 2018, 13:44
Topic: married name of mother on marriage license application
Replies: 4
Views: 1596

Re: married name of mother on marriage license application

Since his mother is his direct ancestor, Italy will want to see his mother's birth name on his marriage certificate. He should have the marriage certificate amended as it is incorrect any way and could also cause a headache for any future generations that might need to use the information. Why not m...
by jennabet
21 Nov 2018, 19:44
Topic: Question about qualifying for Italian Citizenship
Replies: 1
Views: 1633

Re: Question about qualifying for Italian Citizenship

It sounds like while your great-grandfather was working in the USA, he became a naturalized US citizen. If his son (your grand-father) was a minor at that time, the actions of the father affected the minor son and your grand-father was naturalized at the same time. This means he lost his Italian cit...
by jennabet
04 Nov 2018, 18:19
Topic: Documentation in Hand - Missing Anything?
Replies: 5
Views: 2390

Re: Documentation in Hand - Missing Anything?

Your case will be rejected without the birth certificate of the ancestor born in Italy. What do you mean by the official document from Palaia? The only document that proves your ancestor was Italian is his birth certificate showing the names of his parents who also must be Italian. A marriage certif...
by jennabet
04 Nov 2018, 17:44
Topic: Documentation in Hand - Missing Anything?
Replies: 5
Views: 2390

Re: Documentation in Hand - Missing Anything?

If your great-grandfather is the ancestor born in Italy, you would need his birth certificate and not his baptism certificate. And also his marriage certificate.
by jennabet
01 Nov 2018, 12:43
Topic: Has rule changed in Italian Citizenship
Replies: 2
Views: 1590

Re: Has rule changed in Italian Citizenship

Actions of the parents affects only the minor children. The child that was over 18 and refused Italian citizenship can live in Italy and become a naturalized Italian citizen after three years which would be an expedited path because it normally takes ten years. Or if the child marries an Italian cit...
by jennabet
23 Oct 2018, 14:15
Topic: Help needed: Am I eligible for Italian citizenship (concerns the 1948 rule and the minor child of a marriage pre-1983)
Replies: 15
Views: 5569

Re: Help needed: Am I eligible for Italian citizenship (concerns the 1948 rule and the minor child of a marriage pre-198

Brody, I am also aware that in addition to you not being eligible to receive Italian citizenship through your mother, an Italian attorney also told you that since your mother, who was married before 1983 was not legally recognized during the marriage and that her Italian spouse passed away in 2014,...
by jennabet
23 Oct 2018, 13:43
Topic: How strict are the consulates with spellings and Anglicized names?
Replies: 7
Views: 3210

Re: How strict are the consulates with spellings and Anglicized names?

Even Item #1? I figured since I'm trying to prove lineage that having my GGF's mother's name as Albina Pecoraro rather than Maria Bottiglieri would set off red flags. But I am tracing the Gagliano lineage rather than either of these 2 names... A death certificate cannot be amended and yes, this is ...
by jennabet
21 Oct 2018, 18:26
Topic: Paternal line to GGGGF, Can we get Citizenship?
Replies: 18
Views: 5871

Re: Paternal line to GGGGF, Can we get Citizenship?

Correct, lssbdf9193 has not returned to give more information about his ancestors. I mentioned that it's possible he/she has more Italian DNA because Uruguay like Argentina has always had a high population of people from Italy. When Italians stick together in a new land because as immigrants they ma...
by jennabet
19 Oct 2018, 20:49

One more time. How do you like not being able to throw your weight around? LOL, LOL.
by jennabet
19 Oct 2018, 19:40

Oh yes, being Italian is all about pasta sauce. Most non-Italians know how to make it too. It is a pity, however, that you constantly feel the need to speak for others. I'm sure you can read issbdf's mind too. By the way, how do you like not being able to ban a contributor to a forum that you try to...
by jennabet
19 Oct 2018, 16:37

Italians on both sides and even those with just two Italian ancestors can and DO usually contribute SOMETHING about family history, culture, traditions, etc., as do many of the contributors to these forums who are interested in and proud of their heritage, except for YOU and your "pedigree"...